MBP or PowerBook as secondary monitor?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bloo!, Dec 21, 2008.

1. bloo! macrumors newbie

bloo!

I currently have a PowerBook 12" and a MBP 15". I have the proper miniDVI (for the PowerBook) and DVI-to-DVI cable to connect a secondary monitor from either my MBP or my PowerBook. Can I use either laptop as my secondary monitor? I would preferably want to work on my MBP while using my PowerBook as an extension. Is it possible?

They're both running 10.5.6 is that matters.

2. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Just enable screen sharing, connect to your MBP using Safari and your all set!! There may be a few seconds delay, however. To access/enable screen sharing, go to System Preferences, Sharing, and check the box beside Screen Sharing. It should tell you instructions from there.

3. bloo! thread starter macrumors newbie

bloo!

yeah...I usually do screen sharing with my MobileMe account, but I don't want to mirror it but to extend the screen. I guess the answer is that it isn't video in.

Thanks though :)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Tell me how you drag windows from one computer display to another?

5. Slowstick macrumors 6502

What are you talking about? You can't. Screen sharing "shares" the host computer's screen, so you are only looking at and using one computer.

Hope that helps???:confused:

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So how does that help the OP in using the second computer's display as an extension? That's what the OP asked and this is what you suggested.

If you're confused, I was hoping you had noticed the flaw in your suggestion without directly suggesting it. Tallest Skil already pointed out you can't do said. ;) I would be quite nice if it were possible.

7. naid macrumors regular

This is possible via software such as SynergyKM. You cannot drag windows from machine to machine but the two computers will appear as one large extended desktop, you can copy/paste between them, etc. This is also platform independent, so you can have one Mac, one Windows and one Linux machine working together. There are Synergy clients for most operating systems out there.

8. Slowstick macrumors 6502

The thread starter wanted to know how to use his laptop as a secondary monitor. Therefore, screen sharing would work.

I can see what you mean, as the thread starter wasn't very specific and his post was kind of hard to follow.