MBP Ordered Today Ships with Lion or Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Agent-P, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If I order my MacBook Pro tonight, will it arrive pre loaded with Lion or will it still have Snow Leopard installed? In the event that it does have Lion installed, would it be possible to downgrade back to Snow Leopard? Upon reading the initial reviews and opinions of Lion, it seems like it is more trouble than it's worth. I think I'll wait for a couple of stability updates before I go to Lion.

EDIT: Also, if I am able to downgrade to Snow Leopard (assuming that my MBP is pre installed with Lion), can I "upgrade" back to Lion by using the restore CD that comes with my MBP?

2. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

if lion is installed when you recieve your macbook no you are not able to install SL.

3. mac00l macrumors 6502

Stability??? In what sense??? I've been using Lion since release, and it has been rock solid.

If you could explain your potential use, we might be able to tell you if Lion would be a problem, or not.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple says all will ship with Lion, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Most likely Lion, but if Snow Leopard you'd get a free upgrade to Lion.

5. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

If you look on this page, Apple does not state whether it will ship with SL or Lion... it says if it does not ship with Lion, you get the free upgrade of course.

6. seong macrumors 65816

seong

If you get a Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard, you should be able to get Lion for free.
    If you get the Macbook Pro with Lion, there is no need to downgrade to Snow Leopard. It's not like jailbreak where you need to have a specific OS to get everything to work. Lion will not cause any major problem for you.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

But on the launch on wednesday they did say all will ship with Lion.

8. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

it should be possible to downgrade... you just need to get your hands on a copy of the installation disc that shipped with your exact model prior to Lion's release.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It might be better to buy from a reseller and get some "old" stock. You can still claim a free upgrade through Up To Date even if you won't be installing it immediately.

10. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

All the MacBook Airs and Minis will ship with Lion, since they have been refreshed. Once they sell out of the other in-stock computers with SL on them, everything will ship with Lion.

11. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I love how people think what the read on the net is the end all, be all. There are, probably, less than 250 in this forum complaining about Lion. Apple stated they sold over 1 million copies the first day. So, that is a very low number of people complaining, but according to you, the initial reviews are horrible. Most people don't even know what they're talking about. Everyone was crying because they didn't get Lion on a disc..."how am I ever going to restore without a disc"? Guess what, you don't need one. I did a clean install of Lion today...no disc needed. If you're going to buy a Mac, by a Mac.

12. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Alright, so it seems like it's a toss up as to what I'll get. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully Lion holds up for me when my new MBP arrives.

13. scarboni21 macrumors regular

Question:

If you buy a MBP with lion installed and replace the user replaceable HD how would you initially boot to download lion again?

Edit: nevermind. found it on apples site

14. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Incorrect. Since this generation of MacBook Pros initially shipped with Snow Leopard, you can install Snow Leopard. You have to find Snow Leopard Restore Discs for your exact Model, erase the HD, and install Snow Leopard.