MBP Ordered Today Ships with Lion or Snow Leopard?

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
If I order my MacBook Pro tonight, will it arrive pre loaded with Lion or will it still have Snow Leopard installed? In the event that it does have Lion installed, would it be possible to downgrade back to Snow Leopard? Upon reading the initial reviews and opinions of Lion, it seems like it is more trouble than it's worth. I think I'll wait for a couple of stability updates before I go to Lion.

EDIT: Also, if I am able to downgrade to Snow Leopard (assuming that my MBP is pre installed with Lion), can I "upgrade" back to Lion by using the restore CD that comes with my MBP?

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
If I order my MacBook Pro tonight, will it arrive pre loaded with Lion or will it still have Snow Leopard installed? In the event that it does have Lion installed, would it be possible to downgrade back to Snow Leopard? Upon reading the initial reviews and opinions of Lion, it seems like it is more trouble than it's worth. I think I'll wait for a couple of stability updates before I go to Lion.

EDIT: Also, if I am able to downgrade to Snow Leopard (assuming that my MBP is pre installed with Lion), can I "upgrade" back to Lion by using the restore CD that comes with my MBP?
if lion is installed when you recieve your macbook no you are not able to install SL.

Comment

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011

Stability??? In what sense??? I've been using Lion since release, and it has been rock solid.

If you could explain your potential use, we might be able to tell you if Lion would be a problem, or not.

Comment

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
If you get a Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard, you should be able to get Lion for free.
If you get the Macbook Pro with Lion, there is no need to downgrade to Snow Leopard. It's not like jailbreak where you need to have a specific OS to get everything to work. Lion will not cause any major problem for you.

Comment

hehe299792458

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
it should be possible to downgrade... you just need to get your hands on a copy of the installation disc that shipped with your exact model prior to Lion's release.

Comment

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It might be better to buy from a reseller and get some "old" stock. You can still claim a free upgrade through Up To Date even if you won't be installing it immediately.

Comment

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
But on the launch on wednesday they did say all will ship with Lion.
All the MacBook Airs and Minis will ship with Lion, since they have been refreshed. Once they sell out of the other in-stock computers with SL on them, everything will ship with Lion.

Comment

iVeBeenDrinkin'

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008

I love how people think what the read on the net is the end all, be all. There are, probably, less than 250 in this forum complaining about Lion. Apple stated they sold over 1 million copies the first day. So, that is a very low number of people complaining, but according to you, the initial reviews are horrible. Most people don't even know what they're talking about. Everyone was crying because they didn't get Lion on a disc..."how am I ever going to restore without a disc"? Guess what, you don't need one. I did a clean install of Lion today...no disc needed. If you're going to buy a Mac, by a Mac.

Comment

Agent-P

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Alright, so it seems like it's a toss up as to what I'll get. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully Lion holds up for me when my new MBP arrives.

Comment

scarboni21

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Question:

If you buy a MBP with lion installed and replace the user replaceable HD how would you initially boot to download lion again?

Edit: nevermind. found it on apples site

Comment

FSMBP

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2009
if lion is installed when you recieve your macbook no you are not able to install SL.
Incorrect. Since this generation of MacBook Pros initially shipped with Snow Leopard, you can install Snow Leopard. You have to find Snow Leopard Restore Discs for your exact Model, erase the HD, and install Snow Leopard.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.