mbp/os x limiting my max res on external display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sharewaredemon, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

So I've been running a Dell 20 inch external display on my macbook pro since September.

I got home today, set my laptop on the desk, plugged it in and plugged my keyboard in, the laptop woke from sleep, and then went back to sleep, then i opened it it woke again, plugged my display in and my laptops screen was black (with the backlight on, and i could see a cursor).

I shut my computer down, turned it on.

When i moved a window to the second screen I noticed the colour was off, I thought it was a connector but the display was properly plugged in. I then calibrated it (something I've never had to do) and finally noticed that the resolution was lower than normal.

I go to change it, and notice that I am now limited to 1440 x 900, which is the mbp screen's native res, whereas the display's native setting is 1680 x 1050.

Why is it that I am suddenly unable to choose a higher res?

Oh, I tried zapping pram, and that's all I've done so far.

Sorry for the long post,

hopefully one of you can help.

Thanks

EDIT: things are getting even more fun now. When I unplug my display, os x still extends my desktop, so I can move my cursor offscreen into a void. I have to hit the mirror displays key on my keyboard to get my windows back into the main display.

2. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

fixed!

A friend of mine suggested i trash the display preferences.

I put them in the trash, restarted, and it fixed it.