MBP outputs jerky iTunes movies on HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vardamir, Jul 7, 2009.

1. vardamir macrumors newbie

I have a 13" MBP and a miniDisplay port to HDMI connector. I have successfully connected the MacBook to a Sony HDTV. I can use both the "Mirror Display" mode and the extra display mode.

However I find that sometimes when playing movies through iTunes the video plays back jerkily on the TV. It's most noticeable in scenes that involve a lot of camera panning. I find that this is even worse when I drag the iTunes window to the HDTV (as the second display). If I just mirror the displays, the problem seems to occur much less frequently, though it still happens sometimes in that mode also (and if so, the same video plays perfectly on the MacBook display).

I wonder if this is an issue with the connector, the HDMI cable, the TV or even iTunes? Has anyone else noticed this problem?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Where is your iTunes content stored?
    What is the output to your TV (SD or HD?)
    what res is the tv running at?
    How long is your HDMI cable?
    So your get "jerk" when playing other content outside iTunes (ie: hulu.com)?

3. vardamir thread starter macrumors newbie

The iTunes content is stored on the local hard drive.

The output is SD.

The TV is capable of 1920 x 1080p, though it says 1080i when connected to the Macbook. I have tried many different resolutions (as controlled in System Preferences) and found no obvious pattern.

The HDMI cable is about 5 feet in length.

I have tried many different settings and video outputs. I have played video through Quicktime alone, though not other programs such as VLC. Playing just through Quicktime seems to produce good video. The only tried-and-true success I have had with iTunes video (i.e. consistently smooth playback) is if I play a movie which I have ripped from a DVD myself. iTunes-purchased movies seem to have the intermittent problem.

The only solution I can seem to come up with for now, is to only use the Mirror Display setting, and if that produces jerky video on the TV, to shut down and restart iTunes. That seems to cure the problem. But if I pause or stop the movie then resume, the problem often returns.

4. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Apple screwed up HDMI output on 10.5.7 (no native resolution), use switchresx to input your correct resolution or use DVI.

5. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I have no problems with my HDTV using minidisplay port to hdmi, and i am running 10.5.7, did you try on another TV to see if it does the same?

6. vardamir thread starter macrumors newbie

At this stage there's only one HDTV in my house, so no. Although I seem to be having pretty good success now just using Mirror Display. It seems to be an issue with iTunes more than any other program.

Maybe it's my adapter? I got mine from MicroX Computers.

7. srexy macrumors 6502a

Plex

Edit: to expand - Plex does a much better job of handling overscan/underscan issues and is a superior player to iTunes/Quicktime. It will also handle different filetypes with ease.

Drop into the :apple:tv/home theatre forum on Macrumors or plexapp.com if you'd like to hear more.