MBP overheating since apple store repair. Should I return it to them?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zedsdead185, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hiya guys,

I had my MBP pro repaired this week, got it back on wednesday. The things working fine again now, plus looks nicer cos the entire casing had to be replaced.

But ever since I've had it back, I have had some severe heating problems with it! Seriously, i don't have to do anything to it anymore and it will warm up to 70 degrees celsius by itself! I switched it one, left it to boot for 5 mins whilst i got myself a drink, cam back and the internal temperature was already past 65! Just typing on here right now, with fans on full, the temp is 45.

This is a huge difference to before as it would usually run with fans on lowest at 35, only peaking to 70-80 when i do anything that hogs the graphics or CPU. I understand that they may have fudged up the whole 'thermal paste' thing during the repair, and was just wondering if there is any point taking it back for repair. Will they just tell me to go away?

Thx for any help in advance guys :cool:

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No. Take it back. Applying thermal paste is not difficult, especially if you use the self-explanatory grain-of-rice-sized-drop-and-squish-it-out-with-the-heatsink method. (which I don't like as it's unforgiving if you don't get the drop centered, but that a whole 'nother thread). If they were never trained in any of the correct methods, they are all a Google search away. Tell them to do it right, and canned-air the cooler (heatsink vanes and fans).

It's also possible the heatsink is not seated properly, it happens. Make sure they check that too.

3. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

just thought I'd add, since i've posted this, I have left my mac on this screen, whilst playing a song in itunes, and with the fans on full, it has now reached 61 degrees. WTF! what on earth is making it get so hot!

And just to add again, the only programs i have opened since switching it on are Mail, Safari and iTunes. Hardly power intensive programs to be honest.

Plz help guys :(

4. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, thx. I think i will take it back. I don't like the idea of a loose heatsink =S

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Before you go, did you use Activity Monitor or Top to make sure there wasn't some CPU hogging process you didn't know about?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have a feeling during the last update they changed the temperature at which the fan spins up. I recall it used to spin to max at 75ºC, but now it goes to 90 without spinning up.

7. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Activity monitor. I take it thats bad :( . Activity monitor says that the majority of cpu being used is for launchd and activity monitor itself. I've attached a pic, just in case you notice anything that i haven't =P

actually, the fans just started spinning after my temp reached 80 whilst i was typing on here. Plus I also use (and have always used) SMC Fan Control, so that i can manually control the fans if i want, Which i have been using a lot since I've noticed this problem.

Attached Files:

8. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, BIG update. I don't kno if this is normal and I'm just worrying too much now, or whether it isn't supposed to happen, But the mbp casing is giving me tiny electric shocks when I touch both the casing and my printers usb ( which is lieing next to the mbp out of the usb socket). Could this be a link to the problem or is it me worrying to much? ( i can imagine it just being something to do with earthing)

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would take it back as soon as possible. How are the fans behaving since you received it? If the machine is running hot the fans should be running near capacity or they got disconnected during the repair..

10. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Judging by your Activity Monitor snapshot it looks like your CPU is pegging out one of the cores. Did they do a reinstall of software, doing a Time Machine backup, or Spotlight index? I would restart the machine and then take a look at Activity Monitor. If it still looks the same then you have a problem with your OS or app. Here's a snapshot of my MBP with Firefox running. Notice a difference? To see all processes that are running you need to select "All Processes" in the drop down box in Activity Monitor. The static electricity build up can be coming from the fans running overtime or the fact that either your notebook or the printer is not grounded so there is a potential difference in charge between the two devices. It's called a floating ground and it's pretty common.

[​IMG]

11. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. After constantly studying activity monitor for the last 20 mins I've noticed that every now and then a process called 'syslogd' pops up and is an absolute cpu whore. sometimes its for a sec, sometimes for minutes on end. And as the attached pic shows, its not always hogging the cpu as severely as before. But still, its enough to make my temp fly sky high.

Though at the same time, I'm not ruling out hardware problems, because my fans used to kick in much sooner than they do now. Whatever it is, its definately an apple store job.

BTW, forgive me for not knowing anything, but what is syslogd used for anyway? I take it its some important background os thing that you can't do without.

Attached Files:

12. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I think I've found the exact problem. It's time machine. Apparently, it isn't a widespread problem, but when time machine is on, it can sometimes make syslogd go absolutely crazy on the cpu. I have only recently bought time machine, just before the repair i fact. Though i was always lead to believe that time machine took up hardly any processing power, with the exception of the hourly backup making the slight dip.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071030233438149

Oh well, looks like I'm gonna have to wait for an update :(