MBP overheating while gaming. How can keep it cool?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamSchneeberger, Mar 10, 2008.

1. SamSchneeberger macrumors member

Hey Guys

I just got my first MBP on Friday and am very happy with it, money well invested. Now there have been only a few little problems.

One of them is overheating while using heavy duty programs which really push the graphics card and other components. It overheats pretty fast after an hour or two of gaming.

How can I keep its temp down? Yesterday all the sudden the frames droped like crazy and then all the sudden the sound card screwed up all the sound that was coming out of the speakers. It scarred the living crap out of me. So I turned the computer off (fast) and when I touched the back of the computer I sware it was as hot as a stove. I had it on a hard surface so I thought I was fine. Now I´ve heard about the smcFancontrol program that you can use (install it on OS X and then use it on XP), but I guess all that will do is delay the meltdown of frames for about 30 minutes. What else can I do? I´ve heard those cooling pads can help. Which one is the best for a MBP, and quality-wise?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

It's supposed to get hot like that. The metal conducts and dissipates heat, that's what it's designed for.

Your sudden drop in framerates must be caused by something else. I personally find 2GB not enough for a MBP, that could be the problem.

3. SamSchneeberger thread starter macrumors member

Its suppost to get hot yes, but you didn´t awnser my question.

I got 4Gb so thats no problem, and yes metal spreads the heat a bit so there is a bigger surface contact with the air to cool it, but there is a certain limit to it. There is more heat building up then it can get rid of after a certain period of time.

Sam,

4. Think macrumors member

Think

5. SamSchneeberger thread starter macrumors member

Interesting, though I think I dont have to nerves at the momment. If it were a desktop it would of been easier.

Anyone else know anything that could help keep mine down?

Sam

6. Animalk macrumors 6502

Are you getting any graphical artifacts? Is your computer shutting down by istelf ? What temperatures are you observing in iStat Widget during your gaming?

And be warned, opening your MBP invalidates your warranty with Apple.

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

8. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Meh, I reapplied the paste on my Core Duo MBP with Arctic Silver 5 and temps did drop, but only around 2-3 celcius.

I don't think its really worth it especially with these cooler running Penryns, plus there were some points where the operation scared the **** out of me.

9. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

lol what did you do?