MBP Overheating!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by digitalpencil, Mar 9, 2008.

1. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Playing COD4 through bootcamp causes my MBP to overheat. The fans go crazy and i begin dropping frames. If i leave it to cool down for a bit, it will return to normal. I'm running COD4 through XP at 800x600 on a 22" TFT using the latest 171.16 drivers from laptopvideo2go.
    If anyone has any ideas how I can cap the performance so it doesn't overheat so dramatically, i'd be much obliged.

Thanks

2. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Only thing you can do is use an overclocking tool to underclock the graphics card if you want to lower the temps under load. You could also try doing a clean install of an older driver version to see if it improves things any. Also as to you running the game on an external 22" TFT it may be putting the card under more load. Do you have the same problem when you just play on the laptop display with the external disconnected? Keep in mind that when running dual displays your video memory will be split between the displays.

3. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

4. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Get a laptop cooler with 2 fans on the bottom that blows up towards the rear section of the MBP. It'll help keep the temps down.

I use one I got from Newegg, helps keep the fan RPM from really cranking up...

5. wk127001 macrumors member

Make sure you have your lid open on your MBP. I believe it ventilates through the keyboard. Also make sure you MBP is on a hard surface like a desk not a carpet and try to get some air flow across the case. Elevate it if you have to.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you have major concerns over overheating purchase one of those laptop "crates" that lift the laptop off the table. It looks like a donut only square, the center is cut out so there's ample air flow.

7. cnote678 macrumors member

Yes, I too would be very interested to know if you have any problems when playing it on the laptop display. Also, is your MBP Penryn or SR?

8. macmagician macrumors newbie

i use smcFanControl and just keep them running at full speed when its plugged in. Stays nice and kewl

9. digitalpencil thread starter macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Thanks for the advice. :D
    @djin: if i had one, i'd use it!

I'll look into getting a crate to lift it so the vents are more exposed & if that doesn't work i'll get a fan as well. As I said, it's only an issue when i'm playing games, other than that it's generally as silent as a mouse.

Thanks again.