MBP overheating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by austinford, May 20, 2008.

1. austinford macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased a MBP and it's running really hot. I've heard they tend to do this. Is this true? It's not bad at all but once I run 3D applications such as games and stuff it tends to get hot.. Really hot. Is this normal or safe for the computer?

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

When you pack so much power into such a thin case, that's the price you pay.

If I'm encoding video and my MacBook Pro is on my lap, it starts to burn my legs it gets that hot! Fans running full blast etc.

If you are worried that it is hotter than usual, download SMC Fan Control which allows you to see the temperatures and also adjust the fan operating speed.

3. austinford thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, yeah. It doesn't bother me or anything, but I was just wondering if this was normal. So I guess it is. And it's okay for the computer, I assume?

4. wchong macrumors 6502

it is true.

try using smcfancontrol

it is normal, and that's one of the reasons many of us are waiting for a case redesign.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it gets warm and you can feel it because 1) it's a thin case, it's either a thick chassis or hotter internals; 2) It's made out of aluminum, it will get hot as Al conducts heat a lot better than plastic; it's like the whole computer is a giant heatsink; so yes it's normal; the MB gets even hotter since the plastic is really an insulator.

6. tlawski macrumors newbie

I've started to come across the same problem. I noticed that my battery is ridiculously hot and fan speeds aren't excessive but are hovering around 3000rpm. This is only with Safari up and running, and maybe adobe reader and mail. But clearly nothing that is cpu or system intensive.

I've flipped over my MBP and the batter is uber hot for what i've been using my mbp for lately, which is currently just idling.

Does this seem normal? Or am I experiencing some sort of battery problem?

This just started happening over the last week or so. Previously, the MBP would idle at 2000rpm with CPU temp at 74 degrees. I have a Penryn MBP too btw way.

Any thoughts would be great.
    Thanks!

7. chrisdlugosz macrumors newbie

i believe you have a faulty battery --- the area on the MBP that is normally SUPPOSED to get hot is the bottom between the battery and the hinge --- when final cut pushes my cpu past 180 degrees fahrenheit, my battery is not remotely heated

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sometimes in devices if you are agressively using the device on battery power, the battery may get hot; this sounds like a problem.

9. bart rijksen macrumors regular

I'm sorry but what's with all the complaining about heat. I am encoding videos right now, and locked my fans at 3000 minimum. My temp is 80 Celsius, and i am wearing short pants. I don't really notice any heat. I also playes some first person shooters on my lap, and i just don't get all the whining about it being so hot.

10. tlawski macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm making my way to the Apple store tomorrow.

Bart, I'll take it that when you saying 'whining' you don't really mean whining, as I'm not whining, nor is anyone else. Merely simple observation. I'll chalk this one up to a language barrier.

11. bart rijksen macrumors regular

Yep, sorry about that.

12. bart rijksen macrumors regular

You should go exchange it. That isn't supposed to happen. When i'm browsing safari, my temps are about 53 celsius, and fans 2000rpm

good luck