mbp overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iSpoody 1243, Mar 15, 2009.

1. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

hey
    something odd has happened to my mbp.
    its an early 08 2.4 base model.
    since i got it its been running on about 45 -50 degrees celcius while i surf the web.
    but lately it has gotten allot hotter.
    now i rarely see it under 70 degrees celcius.
    this started happening after i ran 3dmark06 on my windows side(which i rarely use) just to benchmark my notebook against my friends aboot a week ago.
    both the cpu and gpu run about 70 degrees celcius.
    im just a bit scared.
    does anyone know whats wrong

2. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

You killed your laptop and now you have 10 minutes to escape your house before it explodes!

I'm not any real expert in this stuff, but I think you might have stressed the GPU/CPU and something screwed up on the inside. Are you using it on your table/bed/lap? Are the fans running at all? Cause it's not normal to be so hot with fans on. Do you have anything like iStat to see which apps stress your CPU? That could be some useful info for us.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhhmm that is fairly odd and quite hot, have you checked for any background processes?? are you running the laptop on a desk or on your bed?

check the widget "istat pro", make sure your fans are still working..

if the problem persists, take it back!

4. iSpoody 1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is a pic of my mbp stats in dashboard.
    im currently running my mbp on battery so its running about 5 degrees celcius less than usual.
    I only have safari open in macrumours.
    any ideas???

also it is running on a wooden desk

Attached Files:

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well the CPU usage is CLEARLY around 50%!!! if your just browsing the web i have no idea why its that high.. do you have hotmail open or something???

Activity Monitor (located in Applications>Utilities) is a great program to find out whats hogging your resources. give that a go.

6. iSpoody 1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

i looked in the activity monitor and found that i had a process of dashboard running that wasn't responding.
    i closed than an now my mbp is back to normal.
    as soon as i ended that process the cpu usage dropped from 50% to 2%.

Thanks a million

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I have a 2.2 SR MBP, and today I noticed my machine was running at 160+F, normally runs under 110F. Even with the fans cranked up, it only dropped to 135-140F. When I brought it home, woke it up, it quickly went back up to 140F. I figured something was different, so I rebooted the machine, and once it was back up, things were normal. I think I had been running some new software (trial) which must have gotten some process going that didn't shut off. I think it has to do with SMARTReporter utility, so I'll test it again.