MBP owner concerned about 10.6 Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dwishbone, Jun 11, 2008.

1. dwishbone macrumors regular

Something just occurred to me today about 10.6. Apple says it will be true 64bit. At first I was like yay! I know it would suck for G4 owners, but I thought anyone with a G5 (assuming Rosetta isnt removed or universal binary compilation is still an option) or an Intel mac would be just fine running it. Then it occurred to me...I have one of the first generation Macbook Pros. They had a "Core Duo" and not a "Core 2 Duo" in them. The original Core Duos are not 64bit. So will my MBP that I got in 2006 not be supported?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Of course it will. Any Intel processor will be supported.

3. dwishbone thread starter macrumors regular

so if they strip it of 32bit code it will still work?
    i guess i need to go read over it again. if its "optimized for 64bit" that's one thing, but I was under the impression from what I have been reading around the net that it was going to be 64bit only and that all 32bit code was being removed.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think it's a bit early to start worrying about that, since the details on what hardware is supported by "Snow Leopard" is sketchy at best.

According to Apple, "Snow Leopard extends the 64-bit technology in Mac OS X to support breakthrough amounts of RAM — up to a theoretical 16TB".

5. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I also have a Core Duo MBP, but I'm not worried. I'm 100% positive that 10.6 Snow Leopard will support 32-bit Intel computers. The WWDC build has screenshots online from a Core Duo mac, so I don't see why apple would pull this support after including it for developers. I really wouldn't worry.

6. dwishbone thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. If that is the case then my worries are over. Thanks for the info.