MBP owner -- To be

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MuscleGeek, Feb 4, 2012.

  1. MuscleGeek macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2012
    #1
    Hey guys I'm new to the forum and this is where I guess to ask my question. I have been contemplating on a MBP for a while now and I believe it's time. I totally forgot that the 2012 model is just around the corner. So my question, is now the right time to buy a MBP, or would I be better off waiting for the next ug?

    Would even the 13" be available in the next one? I believe that they are leaning more towards the 15" and 17" to make it come up.


    Thanks in advance!
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  3. MuscleGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2012
    #3
    I do need one, but is the next worth waiting for? Blah...
     
  4. TheJing macrumors 6502a

    TheJing

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere in Europe
    #4
    It's not worth waiting for if you need it now. But if you can wait, then wait,
     
  5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #5
    No matter when you buy, there will always be a "next one" coming out in the near future. It's useless to try to chase the next model release. Just buy what you need, when you need it.
     
  6. Bobby Corwen, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

    Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    #6
    It will be many months from now.

    But, it will be harder to sell a current MBP when the new retina versions come out.

    You could either buy one now, and sell it for a few hundred loss on Craigslist/Ebay and "upgrade" when the new one comes out, or you can buy a stop-gap laptop for like 3-400 and sell it for around the same when the new MBP comes out.

    You can also just keep what you have now? Either way, you won't want to settle for anything less than the new displays. You don't want to invest deep into a current MBP when such a better upgrade is coming sometime after mid april.
     
  7. James Craner macrumors 68000

    James Craner

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2002
    Location:
    Bristol, UK
    #7
    The current MacBook Pro is currently Mid-Cycle, based on recent average time between updates. So a new version is a good few months away. Thing is with computers there will always be something faster round the corner, as you say you need one now, I would get what you need.
     
  8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #8
    I think if you are primarily after speed it is not really worth the wait. It will be faster but not really a by a big margin at least for general processing (more for 3D graphics).
    If you are primarily after great ergonomics like a cooler notebook, less noise, more battery life it is probably worth the wait.

    Generally you are always better of at the time of buying if you wait. Because it even if the new one doesn't suit your needs perfectly the old ones are cheaper in rebfurb. But you get no value at all up to that time. If you want it now buy it now.
     
  9. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #9
    Can you wait until May/June because with intel releasing ivy bridge april/may that's the time frame you're looking at.

    As others stated if you have an immediate need, then buy one, but if you can wait then you'll get the newest machine
     
  10. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    #10
    If you want another reason to buy one right now, consider the higher probability of problems in a newly redesigned laptop.

    It happened to me with the original Black MacBook, it lasted me 6 years, but not without it's share of problems. The wi-fi antenna had to be replaced once, battery died two times on me, hard drive died one time, CD drive stopped working after two years, and the keyboard was a mess (mouse click very unresponsive and it cracked in the corners) for the first year, until eventually they fixed it after replacing it 3-4 times.

    Right now the MBP has been around with the same design for many years, so most problems should be fixed by now.
     
  11. calderone macrumors 68040

    calderone

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle
    #11
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    In addition you may not like the new design or feature set. If you need it and like the MBP today, buy it.

    Consider a refurb or Amazon warehouse deal to bring the price down.
     
  12. jbg232 macrumors 65816

    jbg232

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    #12
    You do have to consider this but I purchased the first unibook aluminum macbook expecting it to have problems, and there really very few to be found by the mac community (my only problem was the battery cover was loose - fixed at the apple store the day I bought it).
     
  13. MuscleGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2012
    #13
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    Thank you guys for the extremely helpful suggestions! I think waiting out would probably be the best bet for me. I do need a new book, but I don't need it that urgently. I believe waiting to see what the new models have in store would be the best bet, if anything Apple Refurb could be an option.

    There are some reasons I'd like one now though. Since there are very minimal problems with the mid-cycle MBP, it's tempting. We shall see how this goes. I'll keep everyone updated. Again thanks for all the help and suggestions.
     
  14. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

    wrinkster22

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2011
    Location:
    Toronto
    #14
    its posts like this that aggravate me...
    1) How do you know when retina MBP's will come out?
    My guess is several years actually
    2) How do you know they will be updated? Do you work for apple?
    They will arrive when Tim Cook says they will (Look it, the current model came out in october, and the prior was released 9 months ago)


    You could be looking at a July relise.

    OP: Also keep in mind that this revision has had this design for 4 years and has essentially no problems. They are also very powerful machines.
     
  15. Xelorx macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2012
    #15
    I'm getting my Macbook Pro (13") around Mid-May as it's going to be a gift for when I go to college. Assuming the next model isn't out by that time, is it worth waiting for it? I only really need it by mid-August, but I'd like to get it pretty close to my graduation unless I only need to wait a little bit longer.

    I love gaming so this new processor sounds nice (not entirely sure how much better it is though from the previous model, so more info on that would be nice). I'll be using Bootcamp for my macbook for Windows 7 on a couple of 3D games, but not anything too intense like Crysis 2 and Skyrim. I can't exactly ask for a quad-core as I'll probably be getting the cheapest pro while upgrading the RAM to 16GB.

    Any tips?
     
  16. MuscleGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2012
    #16
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    This^. And any confirmation if they're releasing a 13"?
     
  17. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    #17
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/14...lution-retina-display-macbook-pro-in-q2-2012/

    http://www.redmondpie.com/new-macbook-pro-with-2880-by-1800-retina-display-coming-next-year-report/

    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...ip-retina-macbook-pros-starting-next-year.ars

    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57343090-501465/macbook-pro-rumored-to-get-retina-display/

    There you go.

    And to the people saying "there will always be a next one so buy when you need it," its not that simple.

    Sometimes the next one will be a spec bump. Sometimes it will be a major overhaul.

    This advice would have made sense from early 2011 to late 2011 but not, lets say, when the unibody came out. Would you have bought the pre-unibody MBP knowing the unibody was on the way in a few months? Just because you "buy it when you need it?" Its not a reasonable blanket rule to make.

    There are different scenarios, and in this, it would be smart to wait or at least not settle into something permanently and too deeply when you can just get going with the new 2800 x 1800 displays proper like when they most likely come out late Q2.
     
  18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Location:
    Terra
    #18
    There's no way to know FOR SURE. That being said, I don't think there's any indication that Apple will be axing the 13" model.
     
  19. Gomff macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    #19
    Pro's of waiting:

    1) More power efficient, cooler CPU
    2) Better onboard GPU and possibly better discrete GPU
    3) Potential Chassis redesign that you will prefer
    4) A year or so of bragging rights because you have the new shiny.
    5) Possibility that Apple drop the optical drive and you're happy about that because you think Optical drives are old school.
    6) Possibility of retina screen (although I think it's too early for these to be produced in sufficient numbers at a reasonable cost).

    Cons of waiting

    1) Potential chassis redesign that you hate
    2) Struggling to find the exact older model that you prefer in the refurb store
    3) Certain loss of Snow Leopard capability
    4) Possibility that Apple drops discrete GPU's because Intel's onboard GPU is "Good enough"
    5) Possibility that Apple drop the optical drive and you wanted an optical drive
     
  20. that1guyy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2011
    #20
    You say it like there's a 100% chance of a chassis redesign. I would love for there to be one, but its not for sure. If there is, I trust Apple + Jony Ive to make it sexier than ever.

    Next, I doubt Apple will go for the onboard gpu for a $2,000+ laptop. If that does happen, there will be a huge internet **** storm. I think Apple is smarter than that.

    Lastly, external dvd drives are very, very cheap now, even blu ray ones.
     
  21. MuscleGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2012
    #21
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    They can't raise the price for the mbp's. Their prices are set.
     
  22. jbg232 macrumors 65816

    jbg232

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    #22
    Umm.... yes they can, they change the prices every once in a while, sometimes for the higher.
     
  23. Gomff macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    #23
    That's why I said "potential" chassis redesign.

    Also, some MacBook Pro's already just have integrated GPU's.....if the next generation are 60% better as reported, who knows what Apple will do given their penchant for slimming down their devices. I'm not saying they will, I'm saying they might.

    Lastly, I mentioned the DVD drive because not everyone wants to carry an external drive around with them.

    I was just speculating, obviously I don't know more than anybody else.
     
  24. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Location:
    Terra
    #24
    Hahaha... since when have their prices ever been set? They've raised their prices in the past, there's absolutely nothing to stop them from doing it now.
     
  25. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #25
    I'd have to disagree with you on that.

    Everyone is raising their prices these days and given the supply issues of hard drives, they could very do that. I don't think they will but they certainly can bump the price up
     

Share This Page