MBP Owners: do you get any fan/power noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abaganov, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Abaganov macrumors regular

SO i just sold my beast of a machine MSI laptop , one of the main reasons was that I couldn't stand the fan and power noise during regular use (web browsing etc) , it just never shut up.

I am now about to bite the bullet for 2015 MBP 13 inch (can't wait for the new one , also not too excited about the all USB C rumor , I love my HDMI output) . I know it will be for sure more quiet then the MSI I had but wanted to ask you MBP owners (specially the 13 inch ones) , how do i find the noise coming from the laptop during idle use (web browsing , emails , writing , watching videos etc) ? does the fans kick at all or is it completely silent?

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

In the scenarios you outlined, the fans on all my macbooks are silent except when watching video or visiting sites that push video content ads. Videos using flash seem to be the worse.

3. Abaganov thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! so you saying when browsing youtube for example the fans might kick in?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

YouTube on my 2015 13" rMBP doesn't cause the fans to kick on(that I can hear). I use Safari, I have click to flash installed and I believe YouTube just defaults to HTML5 video streaming.

5. High Desert macrumors regular

6. jerryk macrumors 68020

When I watch youtube videos and flash launches after 4 or 5 minutes the fan starts. But, unlike the others I use Firefox or Chrome and never Safari. It is not on all videos. Most of the time flash does not run, but on a few it does.

7. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Late 2013 13" rMBP - no fan noise in Safari, no matter what I do.

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Only time I notice the fan on mine is when I'm useing Handbrake to transcode videos.

9. shoehornhands macrumors regular

During light / casual / moderate use it's nearly inaudible (any fan noise is only discernible in a dead-silent room, with your head right next to the computer). The SSD can make an electrical scratching / chirping sound under certain loads as well, but this too is very feint, and infrequent under normal use.

Under load it's a bit of a different story (it can give a vacuum cleaner a run for its money), but you have to push it pretty hard to get it ramping up like this.

10. Abaganov thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys@ I went ahead and got myself a used late 2012 MBP and its completely silent during everyday use , happy camper here

11. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it!