mbp owners, do you like your multi-touch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calabi, Mar 1, 2008.

1. calabi macrumors regular

ok so i'm still waiting for my new macbook pro and wanted to know from the people who now have theirs wheather they've been using they're new multi-touch track pad, and wheather it was worth waiting?

cheers!

2. Tycoonguy macrumors regular

I'm still waiting for my to arrive. But I went to the apple store and tired it out and it didn't work after asking one of the employes he said "they had to be reset"?

Once he got it working it was ok but I'll have to sit down when mine comes and learn all the gestures.

3. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

I haven't recieved mine either. I imagine the three fingered back and forth will be rather useful once I get used to it though

4. wwami macrumors newbie

It is awesome. it's like having a second button again. check this thread out for a multi-touch hack that let's you assign custom shortcuts for your gestures in different programs. Works great!:D
    here

5. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

cant' wait to try this!

6. sjb macrumors regular

I love the new multitouch. I am probably not taking full advantage of it, but the stuff I have used is great.

One annoying thing though is when I'm in finder, I sometimes accidently have my thumb near the top of the actual 'button' and I'll then move the cursor and end up shrinking or enlarging the icons in the folder I'm viewing. I'm getting better about this, but I have been bitten by this 'pinch' thing a few times. Operator error, but still annoying.

-Steve

7. cobbe1 macrumors member

cobbe1

Multi-Touch is great. the gesture make sense and sure improves on efficiency.

Only thing is it doesn't work on all programs.
    Opera browser, understandable
    Aperture 2:confused:

anyhow, love it

8. matperk macrumors 6502

It's not really the current adoption of multitouch that's going to make it amazing--It's the future possibilities. Like some of the stuff from that patent that was on the MR front page a few weeks ago.

9. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I only really use it for the 3 finger swip to go forward and back in Safari. I think that's great when I'm not using a mouse. It's almost like second nature now for me.

10. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

basically useless for me

i got so used to pressing delete for going back on safari that i don't really use it

and the rotate gesture is really difficult to use. I always end up zooming in or out

and the fact that i finally made the switch from the old one button mouse to the mighty mouse doesn't help me getting used to the multitouch

it's not that impressive for me

11. macRat17 macrumors member

macRat17

i can imagine that zooming in/out would be alot harder compared to the ipt or mba since the trackpad is so small (relatively)

12. honeycrisp macrumors regular

I'd just like to echo those mentioning the 3 finger safari swipe. Makes things so much easier, just like the 2 finger scrolling did. It's really nice, something I'll surely miss when using someone else's computer!

13. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Not as good as on the MacBook Air

on my MBA the trackpad is bigger so you can use the pinch/zoom much more freely.

i think they should have reduced the size of the button on the MBP and use that gained cm or so to enlarge the trackpad

14. KC2 macrumors regular

This is my first Mac, and I love the multi-touch! I find it extremely easy to scroll webpages using the 2 fingers up/down, like I'm about to do right now to hit "Submit Reply." :)

15. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

So I know that the MBA was confirmed to have the same multi-touch chip that the iPhone has. Have they confirmed that in tear downs of the new MBP too???

I think it is dumb that they left the trackpad the same size, I do the gestures on my trackpad and it is just too small. I think they will make it bigger like the MBA and give it a redesign in June. This was just a quick upgrade to get intel off their backs about the cpu.

16. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

from what i've seen i kinda wish that they'd given the new macbook pro the air pad, it looks nice and roomy, but at least we now have multi-touch in the new products! just think of all the 3rd party apps that will come up in the future that can take advantage of this!!

17. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I love it, keeps me from moving my mouse all over the place to scroll, go back, zoom in out, etc...it's great

18. sjb macrumors regular

Anyone figure out how to disable the pinch/squeeze enlarge/zoom? I find myself resizing my desktop icons quite often when I don't mean to :(

19. PDE macrumors 68020

It's ok but, as people say, the pad really is too small for comfortable gesture use. They should have used the same one as on the Air.

20. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

21. virtuatony macrumors regular

I wish the trackpad was bigger, for some reason when I try scroll in Safari with 2 fingers it decides that I'm pinching when I don't think I am and thus makes the font bigger or smaller. The trackpad feels like a synaptics windows laptop trackpad now unless I'm crazy but it just feels and seems different to me.

22. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Got mine today. I have to say, coming from a pre- 2 finger scroll 12" PB I absolutely love the gestures, particularly the two finger up and down, but pinch zoom is going to be very handy too! Also loving the illuminated keyboard! :)

After all this time, I'm finally going to have to update my avatar!

23. sjb macrumors regular

Ha! If that were the case, I'd be having some software engineers add a check box to disable the pinch/expand option :)

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

That's one thing I want for my SR mbp is the multitouch gesture. I really want that 3 finger swipe thing for safari so I dont have to lift my hands off to the keyboard to press the delete key to go back or move the cursor on the top to hit <-- button.

But other than that I do still love that 2 finger click for right click, thank god that still exists on the older mbp's.

25. DocSmitty macrumors regular

I have always.. ALWAYS.. hated laptop trackpads. They were a sub-par mouse replacement that only served to move the pointer and failed to add any functionality. (coming from a PC environment)

That said, I absolutely LOVE the trackpad and multi-touch features of the MBP. The two-finger scrolling (not new, I know, but new to a switcher) is the most useful input feature in years. I also like the ability to change font sizes in Safari by the pinch/stretch method. I have not used the rotate much, only when converting digital photos taken on my camera and orientation change is needed, but I agree that in that instance the size of the trackpad is a little annoying.

The first day or two I was unintentionally using some of the gestures but after a week of use, the trackpad has become totally intuitive to use. I purchased a wireless MM due to my previous dislike of trackpads and I haven't used it once.