MBP owners with ATV2....store movies wirelessly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lowonthe456, May 30, 2011.

1. lowonthe456 macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2007
    I'd like to not have my MBP tethered to an external, where y'all store your movies? Is there a way to store them on a time capsule? Other wireless drive? NAS?
  2. Nathan21585 macrumors member

Aug 9, 2010
    Central Florida
    I was thinking the same thing. I am switching from a Powermac G5 to a MacBook pro and am not sure what to do with my 2tb of movies.
  3. Kleptomaniac macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2011
    As far as I know you can partition the Time Capsule so that you can use it as network storage. Might be better going with a NAS though as the 2 TB Time Capsule is very expensive.
  4. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

Apr 21, 2011
    Northern California
    I'm storing my movies on my MBP (I don't have a huge collection). They stream nicely through the ATV2.

For video not in Apple-compatible format, I use my iPad and the app Air Video to stream them to my ATV2. The Air Video server on the MBP does a live conversion of most formats.
  5. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2007
    Thanks, people have reported that the speed of the TC isn't good enough for firing movies to the ATV, at least that's how I read it. I'd love to know how well this works, I'd buy 2 TC's for this
  6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

Mar 8, 2010
    I currently store them on my MacBook Pro. I have about 450 GB so I'll need to figure out a solution soon because I'll fill it up by this summer. I also don't want an external hooked up but that may be my preferred choice. It is faster than wireless storage.
  7. lowonthe456 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2007
    I'm considering getting a larger internal drive, but that seems like a stop gap