MBP Paint Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fiveainone, Nov 23, 2012.

1. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

So the rMBP is my first mb ever, and this might sound insignificant to some, but.. does the paint on the body ever wear out? My left hand is resting on the left side of the trackpad the whole time. Would it ever show any signs of wear years down the line? What about the keys themselves? or is it injection molded or something?

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's not painted per se.

The keys will probably go shiny though :p.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

1. There is no paint!!!

2. The finish of the surface can show some signs of wear. For example the area where my watch hits the case when I type has lost it's matte finish by now and looks more shiny. If you only touch it with your skin it shouldn't happen though.

3. My keys are shiny (about 1 year old), but I think it's mostly grease. Haven't tried cleaning.

4. fiveainone thread starter macrumors 6502a

nice to know about the body.

keys go shiny, but do the letters disappear at all?

5. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

You must have been using HP computers for too long :p There is nothing externally on a Macbook to fade or wear out. Just don't scratch it.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

AFAIK it's hard anodized, not painted. It could eventually wear off, years and years from now.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No, the letters are molded into the plastic, not painted on. That's how the keyboard backlight works.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I rest my hand on the right side a lot and started to show some wear and tear.
    Black spots show up and silver coating wears off a bit.

9. fiveainone thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks guys.

so the shiny keys.. is that due to oil from the hands? if so wiping/cleaning it often should help yes?

10. jmaeser macrumors newbie

jmaeser

Typically it is that your fingers "buff" the keys due to your finger print being textured. This is similar to how car paint is made super shiny. Since the letters on the keys are "cut" out, there will be no loss of wearing out the actual numbers and letters. Cleaning helps. Eventually if they all get shiny enough they will stay relatively uniform. At the end of the day, the keyboard IS replaceable if the situation gets too bad, though Apple makes their hardware pretty solid and the casing will typically outlast the hardware inside. My mother still has the original 12" PowerBook G4 and the keyboard and case finish is still flawless.

11. jmaeser macrumors newbie

jmaeser

Good to know! Thanks for the correction.