MBP, Parallels 5, Win7. No WiFi found?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MikeSantor, Dec 23, 2009.

1. MikeSantor macrumors regular

How does the networking work on Parallels? I just installed P5 and Win7 and I cant get it to see my home network. when you open the network preferences it is reconfigured with a shared network, 10.x.x.x configuration. Im not a whiz on networking but how does this work. Im sure it dosnt just work like the MB does in regards to picking up the WiFi signal...

Any guidance would be great.

EDIT,

One thing I just realized, Would Little Snitch be blocking the VM from getting to the net?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Is it Bridged or Shared networking? Or is it Host-Only?

3. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

Shared.

I have read every tech article on parallels website pertaining to networking and it all says that if you have it set up for shared (default) that all networking should work with no configuration.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

That should all be required. Try Bridge mode and see if it works. I know for me, a shared network is fine and I can easily find the home network.

5. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing in bridged mode either.

Dumb question but when you open up the VM preferences and go into network adapter, there is a drop down menu. Default is on "default adapter". Then there is also airport, along with ethernet. Does it need to be on "default Adapter" or airport adapter? I would assume "default adapter". Im thinking how VM works is tunnels it through the OS X. I dont think both OS X and 7 can use the airport at the same time.

Can someone with a working WiFi connection open up there VM prefrences and let me know what adapter you have it set on? This will take one variable out.

6. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I would suggest you map it either to the Airport or Ethernet connection to test (map it to the one you are using)

It could be having an issue mapping to the active connection

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

They can. I run a virtual machine off my MacBook Air in which I never have the ethernet plugged in unless I'm on the other side of the house (where signal is marginal at best). I leave it at "Default Adapter"

8. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

Yea im completely stumped. I spent a total of about 3 hours messing with every setting I could think of. I can not get 7 to find a network connection...

9. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Your virtual machine will just see an Ethernet adapter and will have no idea whether it is using a wired port or a Wifi port. You need to set up your Wifi connection in the host OS (OSX). If you have WEP/WPA/WPA2 you need to set up the passphrases in OSX and ensure you are on the network then share the adapter with your VM. With shared networking, OSX is acting as a NAT gateway for the VM. With bridged mode your Mac ends up with two addresses (one for OSX and one for the VM).

It might be worth disabling Little Snitch until you can get a connection from your VM.

Does 7 have a network driver for whatever ethernet interface that Parallels makes the host ethernet ports look like? It should use something very common that 7 has a good chance of having drivers for, but it doesn't have to bear any resemblance to the hardware actually in your machine.

10. iaddict macrumors 6502

VM Preferences

I know that my systems are different (XP) but mine is set to Host Only on networking. I would at least try the different settings to see if one works. I don't think I even had to change mine, it was automatically set to that.

11. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

^

I have tried them all. I wanted to see the RIGHT way to do it so I didnt have a random variable. I went through all the networking types and none worked.

12. iaddict macrumors 6502

May be a stupid question but

Did you check on Mac side in System Preferences to see if you are connected to your VM?

13. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

I Cant find anything in system preferences in OS X that pertains to a VM. Where can I find this?

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It'll actually be more confusing to check on the System Preferences. If the VM can surf online, it's connected.

15. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

It cant surf online...

16. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

1) Check Parallels 5 > Preferences > Network Tab - is your connection type set to Shared Networking?
    2) Open Windows 7 VM window (don't start the OS) > Virtual Machine > Configure > Hardware Tab > Network Adaptor 1 - is the Connected check box ticked, and is the type Shared Networking?

Your VMs do not detect a Wi-Fi signal, it's shared from OSX.

17. iaddict macrumors 6502

This is how I checked mine

Went to Apple in upper left hand corner, opened System Preferences, went down to Network and opened it. There are two choices for Parallel adaptor and it will show whether or not it is connected to the VM. If not, this could be the problem.

18. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, I did this a few times and everything is exactly like you explained. Both places are set to shared...

When I open up system preference and go into network, there is NOTHING that has anything to do with the VM...

Im starting to get frustrated.

19. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

That's because there is a setting in that same Network Tab whether or not to show info in the Network in System Preferences.

20. iaddict macrumors 6502

What Mac OS are you using?

Are you using SnowLeopard or are you using another version? I don't see how the Parallel Adaptor is being hidden in your System Preferences since mine is showing on the left side of the window that opens once I click on Network inside the System Preferences panel. It also shows Mini Card, Bluetooth DUN, Ethernet, Firewire and Untitled. Each one that is connected has a green dot to the left of the name. I think maybe it's that you don't have communication between the Mac OS and your VM. But since I don't know alot about these things, that is my only guess.

21. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

snow lep. When th elittle one goes down for a nap im going to make a video going through all the preferences so everyone can see what I have.

22. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's probably not showing up because you haven't ticked the "Show in System Preferences" check box.

Parallels Desktop > Preferences > Network Tab > Tick the "Show in System Preferences" check box.