MBP penryn dying Help! - FIXED

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weemanpow3, Jul 12, 2008.

1. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

My mac has been working pfectly until about a week ago. My games have dropped fps by 15-20 in Guild Wars and Half-Life 2 Series/Counter-Strike Source an etc. My mac fans used to turn on and get loud when im playing and now it dosent change speeds at all, its fan speeds seem very low. My mac now has been idleing at 65-70c and when gaming it reaches up to 85c. I even formated my windows side(Only for gaming) and it didnt help. I ran 3DMark06 and my scores dropped from 4407 to 3806. I have noticed the screen start artifacting a couple of times when I game and I quickly shut down the computer and restart. Its only hapened 4 times. All I use on windows side is a couple of games and everything is all updated including drivers. On my mac side it idles around 55c and then goes up to 65-70c if doing anything extreme.

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Could be a sign of the GPU overheating as promised by NVIDIA... Dang.... :(

3. weemanpow3 thread starter macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

Would apple replace the laptop because of serious overheating?

4. Hydroxs macrumors regular

It could be the gpu downclocking when it reaches high temps. Do you use smcfancontrol when you game in windows?

5. KelchM macrumors regular

OR repair it.

My advice to you is to run a monitoring tool and see what your temps/fan speeds look like. Try SpeedFan.

6. magallanes macrumors regular

In windows smcfancontrol is called "input remapper".

Do you (weemanpow3) use input remapper in windows?

7. Smurfed macrumors regular

Are you sure the power adapter is connected and you're not running off the battery?

8. weemanpow3 thread starter macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

Power adapter was always in and light is green. never heard of input remapper befor. My laptop was working perfectly since day 3 of Penryn release to last week. I have latest video drivers 177.41 and bootcamp 2.1. I even reverted back to original drivers from the leopard cd and still same problem. Tryed apple test and that cleared. If you can call 3DMark06 a good test, I noticed that at the cpu test part it runs alot slower that it ever did befor. Ohh yah Im running Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1. I also added an notebook cooler and my temps lowered to 55-60c idle and 75c gaming, still not improved. One thing, Thank you for the help so far.

9. nephilim7 macrumors regular

you didn't happen to take the battery out did you?

10. weemanpow3 thread starter macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

I think I fixed it, My games fps went back to normal and 3DMark06 Score went up to 4412. Ok This is what I did to fix it.

1. Remove the battery and hold down the powerbutton for 10-15 sec.

2. Let the computer sit without the battery or anything plugged into over night.

3. Swapped the ram in opposide dimm slots. (read this from some forum a while ago)

4. Put everything back on and played my games and now it feels like I have a new computer again.

Thanks (Nephilim7) for giving me an idea about the battery, and anyone else. Ill post back if anything comes up again.

11. nephilim7 macrumors regular

glad you got it working, but I can take no credit: what I meant to ask was if you were running it without a battery in which case the cpu would throttle down.