MBP Penryn upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Penryn Pun, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Penryn Pun macrumors newbie

I have a MBP Penryn 2.4. I want to upgrade my hard drive from the original Hitachi 200gb 5400rpm to a 500gb 7200rpm. Any recommendations on what brand to go with? I was thinking about sticking to Hitachi since my MBP was made with it. Also I want to upgrade my ram to 4gb or 6gb but not sure which brand to go with. I looked on newegg.com and saw that only Mushkin has 4 cas latency. What would be better, getting 4gb with 4 cas latency or getting 6gb with 5 cas latency?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As far as hard drives, search Mroogle. There are numerous threads on the same subject.

The short version is that it doesn't matter as long as the drive comes with a 5-year warranty.

3. tpg macrumors regular

I happen to like Hitachi drives - served me well in the past for a PC I built too. Can you buy 2 x 3GB modules to get 6GB of RAM? It was my understanding that you could only get 1, 2 & 4GB modules.

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I got the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500gb drive. It's served me well. No extra noise, or vibration.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You use a 2 and a 4 to get 6GB. Personally, I'd just stick with 4, unless 2GB is way too little for you. I'd also recommend the WD Scorpio Black for the hard drive. I have the 320GB version in my computer and I love it. I can barely tell the difference from the stock drive with noise and vibration, and I don't think it has hurt battery life at all.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Don't worry about memory latency ratings, it does not matter!
    (You can spend $1k extra on faster RAM and you won't notice it!)
    Going from 2-4GB RAM will make heaps of difference, going from 4-6, not so much, unless you do some heavy photo/video/music or uses VMs a lot.

7. Penryn Pun thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking of purchasing both ram and hard drive off newegg.com
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145275
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226044

what do you guys think? any other suggestions? i would like to hear from others with MBP Penryn or at least MBP only please.

I read the reviews on newegg.com and I noticed the seagate momentus 500gb 7200 doesn't last long and fails a lot. Also I read that 7200 hard drives sound louder than 5400 since it reads faster, is that true?. I'm looking for a HDD that's as quiet or quieter than my stock Hitach 200gb 5400, doesn't take a lot out of my battery, and lasts long. Would you guys recommend WD, Seagate, or Hitachi for the hard drive and why? Also what brand would you guys recommend for the ram?

8. Penryn Pun thread starter macrumors newbie

If that's the case, what ram do you suggest i buy? should i just buy 4gb with 5 case latency, it would be a little cheaper than 4gb with 4 case latency? what brand should i go for?

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Across this forum it seems people are usually recommending Crucial, Corsair and OWC.

I personally have always bought Crucial, never had any problems, so I'll continue with that :D
    If you buy directly from them, they have Apple Certified memory, and a 4GB kit should cost less than $90.

I had a Santa Rosa MBP before (similar to the Penryn), I had 4GB Crucial memory in it and a Western Digital Scorpio Blue (320GB, it's two years ago).
    The WD drives was less noisy than the original (which I think was a Hitachi?).