Mbp penryn, washed out screen.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by frostrambler, Mar 5, 2008.

1. frostrambler macrumors member

My last week purchase of a new macbook pro is irking me. The screen is washed out. You can see the colors are a lot lighter than they are supposed to be. I have an older mbp nonled and it looks great. I tried 2.2 gamma but its too dark. Is it normal for the colors to be a lot lighter on the new displays

2. Chitoneus macrumors member

Perhaps if you have an Apple store nearby, you can go in to see how the display screens compare to yours.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Any chance that you got the lg screen of the mbps? I've been through 10 SR models and have to say that all 9c67 lg models looked washed out, there was no yellowing but I remembered that the colors werent as vibrant as the samsung models and chi mei or auo. To me the colors looked fake looking.

When I get my next mbp I want to avoid lg.

4. jpb0104 macrumors newbie

how do you check for the manufacturer of the lcd panel?

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

system preference/display/click on color/color lcd/open profile/click on number 13'/should tell you there

6. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

I came home and took my old MBP and put it side by side with my new one.

It is so hard to notice the differences between the screens once I adjust the new LED screen to be a little darker. But if you look very closely, you can see that dark colors are SLIGHTLY lighter and white is REALLY white. When I look at my new MBP white looks like a very bright white you would see from xenon headlights, while the white on the old macbook pro is like a piece of paper, almost slightly grey to it.

The changes are so small, that I have no idea how I can convince an Apple Store genius about this. I mean if you look quickly, you can't even tell the difference, but after working on it for a few minutes you notice the small things, like all the Apple menus on the top are so white that it looks like you are staring into a flashlight, or how the ichat icon is a light blue instead of a dark blue.

Its the little things, like the default Leopard wallpaper is much richer in purple hues on the old MBP than the new one. But again, you need to look carefully to really notice it. I notice it because I stare at it 5-6 hours a day and it gets very annoying. But how can I get the Apple Genius to notice it? I just feel like I will come in next Monday (my 14 days are up next Wed), and show it to the genius and he will tell me that he doesn't see a difference.

What do you guys recommend? I feel like I will be laughed out of the store on this one, maybe its just the new LED displays, and the whites really are whiter and annoying now? My Dell 2405 and my iMac 20 inch both have flourecent backlights, same as my old MBP, and they all look wonderful, but the whites on the new MBP are so white it hurts.

7. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

i think you should take the 10-15% restocking fee and get it befor the 14 days are up.

8. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

I don't want a refund, I want an exchange, and if they tell me that the issue doesn't qualify for a free exchange, then I guess I will hold on to it, I need a macbook pro.

My current plan is to:

1. Setup an appointment with a genius this Monday at 5pm
    2. Get to the Apple store at 4:30pm
    3. Go over to the macbook pro section and look at the macbook pro's on display.
    4. Take my macbook pro and compare its screen to the ones on the display.
    5. If they are exactly the same (default settings, same brightness), then I will go home. If not:
    6. Talk to the genius at 5pm and tell him of the problem and tell him the floor models do not have this issue...

Thats the only way I can prove it.

9. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Or you could get a hardware calibrator (like Spyder 3), and have perfect color for this notebook and every screen you own for the foreseeable future.

Apple's stock color profiles are absolute crap. You might have a quite good screen that simply looks way off because of the profile. You won't know until you calibrate it.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

You really need to either get a hardware calibrator or try one of the many profiles for the LG MBPs posted here - just do a search. that will solve the issue! As for the LGs being somehow worse or less vivid, I can't agree. Vivid and saturated does not equal good color rendition. I think the LGs are very good and have excellent color rendition, but they need some calibration first.

11. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

I have a 9C81, I do not think that is LG, its a new screen and if you know where I can get profiles for it, I would appreciate it greatly. I do not want to return the computer as the screen is perfect other than the issue I am currently having. I also do not have the money now for hardware calibration and software calibration like SuperCAL doesn't help.

edit: Seems 9C81 is LG, I will search for profiles, but if there is a good repository you know of, I would really appreciate it.

12. PDE macrumors 68020

Attached Files:

13. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

14. PDE macrumors 68020

thanks - that's where I got the profile above.

15. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help, those two are a lot better, although its hard to decide which one is better :p

16. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Yea he posted one of the two that I posted..

I keep flipping between them too :D

17. PDE macrumors 68020

For me it's definitely the one I posted (the one created by AbsenceOfTruth) . The other one has a little too much red imo, but I switched back and forth for a while too. Obviously the only way to get the perfect profile for your display is a hardware calibration, but I think these are a tremendous improvement over the default one.

18. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

But the second one is the one where he removed some red, are you sure you aren't confused? The Absenseoftruth one is redder than the second one further in the thread, and the guy who made it even said he removed some red.

19. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

I have played around with it, and I definitely like the second one better that you linked me to, its a little lighter actually, and has less red, looks a lot nicer.
    The gamma is 2.2 though so I can see some colors are darker than usual, but it looks a lot better than before. I won't return the computer then, thanks for all your help. Hopefully some 9C81 people will post profiles eventually since I am sure 9C81 is different from the older 9C6x that the profiles are using now.

20. PDE macrumors 68020

Sorry, yes, I was confusing the second one with another profile posted (MBPro17June07.icc). Yes, the second one is better, agreed!

21. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

I got the 09C81 model with my new 2.4Ghz Penryn as well. I don't really like it either. I've got my 2.2Ghz SR MBP sitting next to it which has a 09C66 display and the colors on this new one are lighter and more washed out compared to my other one. The screen is a little brighter with colors that are more vivid on my 09C66. It does seem to have a little bit of yellowing though maybe but it's not bad. I'm about ready to send this 2.4Ghz Penryn back because of the screen and the fact the lid doesn't shut down as good as my other one.