MBP performance vs 20in imac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JRayFilms, Oct 9, 2010.

1. JRayFilms macrumors newbie

I have a 20 inch imac that I bought about 2 years ago. The processor is a 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo. and the memory is 1 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I am wanting to try and sell this and buy new 13" macbook pro, the 2.4GHz model with 4 GB Ram. I want to get this now because I do alot of video editing for action sports using Final Cut Pro, now getting into Adobe Premiere, but I am driving alot and would like to have a MBP to bring with me now. I want to know though, how much of a performance difference would I see using this for Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere?

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

You will see a nice boost. The performance increase from the processor will be modest, but the jump in RAM will be a big deal. 1GB is pretty paltry.

3. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

I can vouch for the 4gb ram. I do audio engineering and 4gb is great. I wouldn't recommend video editing on a 13", though. I have a 15" and love it, but I even may get the 17" when it's time for a new computer (which won't be for a few years yet)

Make sure you get some time behind the wheel of a 13" to make sure it'll be good for your video editing needs. The last thing you'd want is to hate/not be able to use your purchase, and the last thing the board needs is another "Disappointed with 13" MBP" thread =)

4. JRayFilms thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses.

Are you saying you dont recommend editing on a 13" because of performance wise or the size of the screen? I dont mind the size, also I have an external monitor that I already use so that isnt a problem.

5. Warthog macrumors newbie

I own a 13" MBP and whilst I'd like to be able to do some video editing on it in a pinch, when I don't have access to my beastly editing PC, I don't believe the integrated graphics of the 13" model are up to the task. In fact the on the Final Cut Pro page of Apple's website specifically says it requires "ATI or NVIDIA graphics processor (integrated Intel graphics processors not supported)".

If I can ever afford it, I'll probably get a super beefed up Macbook Pro 15" or 17" along with an Apple Cinema Display for video editing and I would point you in the same direction.