MBP: Piece out or as one unit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maxington, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Maxington macrumors 6502

My MBP has stopped working and best guess is that it's the logic board of the machine. I have a new batter <6 months old and a replacement mag safe connector.

Is it better to sell the machine for parts or sell it as a broken unit? Any ideas.

Thanks.

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Sorry to hear your MBP died on you. Did you consider having Apple checking it out to verify what the issue is before giving up? What are you planning on replacing it with? I hear the new retina models are sweeeeet!!

I don't have any experience parting out a MBP but it seems to me it would be less of a hassle to sell it as a broken machine. Don't think I'd want to haggle over price for the various parts. There's also the issue of packing and shipping costs associated with each part sold.

Just my opinion. Perhaps someone who has actually parted out a machine will chime in. Good luck.

3. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I parted out a broken ibook last year. All of the parts added together I got $275. I paid $150 before I broke it (the power button logic board connector broke, and I didn't see the need to fix it)

If you are willing to devote time to package each one and multiple trips to the post office, go for it. It took me roughly 2 months to get rid of everything except the ram cover.