MBP poor airport signal

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Senator, Jun 28, 2008.

1. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

my mbp just started not picking up wireless networks. For me to connect to my wireless network I have to get right next to my router. This just started today. it won't show up any other networks like it usually does just mine. This is very weird it seems like my airport card is not getting enough power or something. I have a first gen MBP 1.83. Help please

also I'm running tiger if that helps with all the updates

2. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

alright now the airport won't even find any routers. I showed it to a friend and he thinks the airport card is dead. How easy is this to fix by myself?? where can I get a new airport card?

3. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

this is really weird now my imac is doing the same thing. Its an old 17 in goose neck g4 with just regular airport. Help Please!

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Have you tried to reset router? If all your Macs don't see router, maybe the problem is in router, not Macs?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

This is a weird question, but does this only happen at night?

6. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

no it happens all the time. its not the router because there's other routers around and the macs see them when the airport did work. My sisters hp laptop works and so does the wii. sometimes the airport will work but only for like 15 minutes and then drop everything and not see any routers. This is really weird.

7. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

alright so I called apple and my warranty has expired. its been 3 months and my airport still isn't working. Can I buy like a linksys card and put it in the express slot? Will a usb dongle work? I heard that stuff won't work. What should I do? Take it to the apple store? Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks Jake

8. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I have the same problem (and take a look around the board, so do a lot of others). I've tried three different routers (and all three were different brands too) and each had problems.

The problem is intermittent. Actually, connection is intermittent. The problem is quite typical. :mad:

I'll get nothing, then full bars for a few minutes, then nothing for days. :mad:

I'm hard wired in now. :(

9. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

damn, what the hell. This is whack I can't figure out if its hardware or software, cuz I have tiger and can't put windows on and test it there. I really don't want to take my computer apart.:mad:

10. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

quick question. Will a d link dwl 122 work with my macbookpro? I know i will need special drivers but will it work? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

11. cwalex18 Guest

This is going to sound weird, but your problem may lie with the sun. My sister is an astronomer, and she tells me that the sun is entering a period of heightened solar activity, so at times radio communications can be disrupted. I know at my house if I am having problems with my wireless network, I usually talk to my sister, and 9 times out of 10 when I have a problem she tells me that the sun is doing something weird that day. This might be your problem, but if it happens all the time, than it probably isn't.

12. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

If true, I suggest we start a class action lawsuit and put the Sun out of business. :mad:

13. The Senator thread starter macrumors regular

The Senator

14. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Tried what? Will what work? Turning off the Sun? :confused:

Personally, I think the problem is with our MBPs. I have an iPhone and it is connecting to the very same transmitter my Mac can't see. :mad:

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Batt gave you the link to the drivers

Yes, for more info in the lawsuit, go here:
    http://suethesunouttabusiness.com