MBP Power Adapter Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eatsleepdrivesc, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Eatsleepdrivesc macrumors member

Hey guys,

I am still under Applecare for another 43 days and now my power adapter is giving me issues. I used to have the old T type but that got replaced by the L type under my Applecare about a year and a half ago, the cord frayed. I called up Apple and made an appointment, but I am wondering if they are going to be able to help me.

I have a Mid-09 17" MPB, and its a 85W power adapter, L style. I went through the support online and cleaned out my power adapter, and plug on my mbp, now they are both as clean as I can get them.

Heres what its doing, sometimes I will plug it in and it will say charging on my screen, but the plug doesn't light up at all, green or orange. Then other times I will plug it it and it will flash green and then orange ( maybe half a second to see both colors ) and stay off. And then other times it plugs in and works perfectly. Its strange.

Do you all think they are going to replace it for me, or because it only does it sometimes do you think they will just tell me they cant do anything?

When I look at the plug on my mbp, it looks fine, and the only thing I can find on the cord plug is a small ding on the top portion. I have tried my best to attach a marco pic so you can see. On the last pic, I zoomed it in, its not the scratched paint on the top of the plug but you can kinda see the indents on the piece that connects to the mpb. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. rMacBookPro macrumors member

Does it work on other macs? If so, try doing a SMC reset of your computer. If that doesn't help, I think you should take it to the apple store.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Take it in to an Apple store, AASP or calls AppleCare. It may be the A/C adapter or possibly the plug on the laptop itself. It's hard to tell from the picture but it does look SLIGHTLY melted, although it could just be the lighting.

4. Eatsleepdrivesc, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

Eatsleepdrivesc thread starter macrumors member

I have no other macs to try it on. I did the SMC reset. No luck. :(

I've got an appointment tomorrow at 7:30 with the Apple Store. The crappy part is the closest Apple Store near me or service center is an hour away. I just am going to be upset if I waste 2 hours total in driving time plus gas to get told that they cant do anything because it doesn't happen all the time.

I took some more pictures from each side.

In the first one at the top of the power adapter you can see the ding and in the last one you can see it from a different angle.

Attached Files:

5. ramram55 macrumors 6502

You will get the new adapter in the apple store no doubt about it. Go to the store and ask for it. :)

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

This isn't always the case. I was actually told no when I took my A/C adapter into an Apple Store. I called AppleCare directly and a new A/C adapter was sent to me next day air.

I'd still suggest taking the laptop and adapter in so they can look at it. Maybe they'll find something wrong with your computer.

7. Eatsleepdrivesc thread starter macrumors member

Took the computer and power adapter in tonight to the Apple Store.

The genius was very nice and explained to him what it was doing and that I cleaned them out as well. He told me they were "sparking clean" lol. Then he tried it out real quick and it screwed up while I was there! I was so relieved. He put it down as a "Issue: Adapter strain relief"

He looked up the Applecare status, which was still good, went to the back got a replacement one, signed the iPad and walked out with it and my laptop! Couldn't be happier!

He also did a health check on it and everything passed with flying colors!

Thanks everyone!