MBP power cord damage... 3rd party replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBPnoob, Mar 25, 2012.

1. MBPnoob macrumors regular

My MBP (Spring 2010, 15", i5) power cord is starting to split right beside the plug. First off, is this a common issue? Second, is there a decent 3rd party power replacement? The exact same thing happened to my iBook power cord years ago and the 3rd party eBay plug I bought as a replacement worked way better and never had a splitting issue.

Attached Files:

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Since it's still working, I wouldn't bother buying a replacement. Just put tape over the opening?

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Why not try and see if a Genius will replace it free of charge? You'd be surprised what they sometimes can do for you.

----------

I think it's more of a hazard than anything.

4. AppChat macrumors regular

apple store will gladley replace it for you

if ur to lazy....electrical tape

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Hence wrapping it in electrical tape.

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Still a hazard

7. MBPnoob thread starter macrumors regular

I never thought about taking it to an Apple store. I'll have to make the trip next time we are near one. I never got Apple Care, so do you think they will still bother with me?

The laptop split is exactly where the constant "bend" is... be it left, right, or down. My first thought is that I can't be the only one with this issue.

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I believe that one of the reasons we pay so much for Apple products is because they have they best customer support. I dropped my month old MBP and they replaced it for free, so yes, there is a good chance they will replace that cord for free. It doesn't hurt to make an appointment and ask, especially when a new one is $80.