MBP Power Cord Fraying

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NRutman, May 9, 2013.

1. NRutman macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 2009 MBP and I noticed that my power cord is starting to fray at the base of the power block (somewhat fuzzy photo attached). Anything I can do about this, or am I forced to order a new power cord?

I'd like to save the $80 if I can.

Thanks,
    -Nate

Attached Files:

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

You bent the beginning part thats why it was starting to break from stress. Nothing you can do but just tape it up as best you can and hope it doesn't fall off.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The way you have it wrapped, its a point of weakness. I'd say to be safe, replace it. While you can tape it as the other poster mentioned in the long run it will be better to replace it imo.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Or buy a new one and not worry about risk of shock/electrical fire, but that's just me.

5. negativzero macrumors 6502

There is nothing to fear with this though, the inner core is still insulated. Yes, OP might get an electric shock, but only if he/she continues to use the power cord bent in this manner ensuring the inner core snaps too. Otherwise there is no danger using it like this.

6. phoenix78 macrumors member

Get it replaced asap. You dont want to be using this thing in that state. Its hazardous to your health and it could damage your mbp.

I had my power brick fray like this after nearly 3 years. However, the plastic had not separated yet. One day i left my table and came back 1/2hr later wondering what the smell was. The plastic had melted away exposing the wires. It must have been sparking.

And i dont mistreat (intentionally) my products, kept the cord coiled nicely etc... Im guessing that part of the brick-side cord got strained after being placed in my bag in such a way that the cord loop that sticks out of the brick (because i didnt bend it flat against the brick like in the photo above) was being bent while jostling around in my bag. Sometimes you cant see all the things you are doing wrong. It was replaced under warranty though, which was win.

I now have two power bricks. One for work and one for home. Now i never have to transport it unless im overseas/interstate. No issues with power bricks at all now for over 3 years.

7. SMDBill macrumors 6502

There are some forms of both liquid and stretchy/self-stick electrical tape. The liquid is designed to replace the plastic outer shield but I doubt it will hold up long to the type of use shown in the picture. The other kind is often found in orange (for higher heat applications) or black for normal heat, such as your case. You simply stretch the "tape" (actually feels like a rubber and has no adhesive on it) around the surface to be protected and it will remain in place because it sticks to itself and will slightly adhere from the stretching action to the material beneath it. I have used it many times on aircraft application when I was in the military as an aviation electronics tech.

While either method may work, the problem is the stress you have placed on the wires. Wiring is never meant to bend at 90 degrees or even close to it, especially while flexing back and forth through regular use. That first couple inches of wire coming out of the adapter should be loose, not pulled tight. I would normally place a finger or thumb over the cord at about the 2 inch mark to hold it in place without straining it, then wrap the cord. That way the slack is not taken out of that first couple inches during the cord wrapping action.

Wires bent back and forth over time will all do that. I have fought with the wife for years about how to properly move and use power adapters for computers and how to use the machine while plugged in to avoid straining the connector or wires, or especially the connector on the computer end (non-Macs that have cheap plastic connectors).