MBP power draw when charging only? 75W inverter OK?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by srh, Feb 22, 2013.

1. srh macrumors newbie

OK
    I am looking to maybe buy a Goalzero Sherpa 50 kit which has an AC inverter that goes up to 75W.

I know the MBP is 85W and people saw it could draw too much over the 75W and fry it or pop a fuse etc.

BUT

I am looking at the idle watt consumption from apples site outlining idle consumption just over a single watt.

[​IMG]

SO I am thinking it would work to charge the MBP 15inch when not in use or in idle etc.

AM I crazy?

Also would the bit about "modified sine wave" part matter here? does that have something to do with Hz as in 85W 50-60Hz for MBP 15in?

Sherpa Specs:
    [​IMG]

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When your MBP is plugged in, the MagSafe adapter will both charge the battery and provide power for the MBP. When the battery is fully charged, it stops charging, even if left plugged in, but the MagSafe continues to provide power to the MBP. Also, in periods of high demand, the MBP may draw power from both the battery and the MagSafe adapter.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.