MBP Powers up but no display/chime

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattZani, Feb 3, 2014.

1. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Was using a rarely used MBP to restore my Mothers iPhone today, the iPhone failed to restore and went in to DFU mode. iTunes then sat waiting for the iPhone, so I thought best to reboot the MBP and start fresh.

White light came on, fans and HDD started spinning, nothing else.

It's a 2008 A1260 2.5Ghz MBP, used as an iTunes server and nothing else. Sleeps and wakes, never turned off, never did anything strenuous, didn't get overly hot.

Tried PRAM, SMC, taking RAM out, different RAM, booting from a disc (via USB, internal one died and think I threw it out)

Any ideas? Despite it being an 8600M model, I don't think it's an issue with that. Seems like something failed that's only used in boot up, which is why it worked fine until it tried to reboot itself.

2. Hexaea macrumors member

Hexaea

MBP Powers up but no display/chime

Take out the ram and try powering it on. Power it down and try each chip alone in there.
    If that doesn't work let it sit and run itself down on battery power to see if it reacts to low battery.

Don't ask on that last one, it's weird but it's worked for me before on a number of customers computers.

Also try plugging into an external display to check for signal.

3. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

RAM has no effect.

Doesn't output any signal.

Got it sat on battery now, keyboard doesn't light up at app, caps lock light doesn't come on. Front light is dim.

4. MattZani thread starter macrumors 68030

MattZani

Continuing.

Doesn't seem to be carrying a RAM check out, no noises at all.

Screen and HDD have no effect if unplugged.

Unplugging the keyboard once plugged in causes the fans to ramp up, assuming the temp sensor is in there?

Closing the screen does nothing except make the light brighter.

It's not looking good, but it's crazy how the system technically didn't even turn off, yet it died, and showed no signs of issues before this.

5. Hexaea macrumors member

Hexaea

Considering all you've done so far and assuming that battery trick I gave you didn't work I would have to say its most likely the logic board.

I would recommend taking it in and have someone do a physical diagnostic on it.

6. aau macrumors newbie

FWIW, I have the same problem with a late 2008 17" and the Apple Store and an Authorized Apple Repair shop both said it needs a new logic board. And 6 out of 6 repair services sellers on eBay I contacted said those symptoms indicate a Nvidia GPU defect.