MBP preferences not stable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bmode, May 28, 2008.

1. Bmode macrumors regular

Hey all, I can't figure out why my systems settings are not sticking on my new MBP. Before I give details, I should let you know that I have Parallels installed and have allocated 32GB of my HD for Windows XP Professional using Boot Camp. Every since then, all hell has broken loose.

For starters, the simplest of all preferences is my Hardrive settings of changing the viewing option to icons instead of the list view. This will not stick after I restart the computer.

Someone told me to re-create a new account as admin and delete the old one once I had all the settings setup the way I like it, and it partially worked, but now this new account is not sticking as well.

I just installed the update 10.5.3, so let's see if it affects my issue. Thanks in advance.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hi Bmode,

Setting up a Windows partition shouldn't affect the Mac side. Sounds like there's something corrupted, I'm not sure what but maybe you can fix it by doing some house keeping?

I wonder, what kind of house keeping you've done since having the system? Have you tried using the Disk Utilities (Root/Applications/Utilities/) to repair your Disk Permissions? Should be performed after each and every update. And perhaps download and use MacJanitor to update all your cron files (usually weekly and monthly)?

Personally, I like MainMenu because it does all of the above plus a whole lot more!!

If non of that helps, you can try doing a reinstall but remember to save your personal documents and media files just to be on the safe side.

For your knowledge and reference.
    near enough all your user's setting can be found in one place usually:
    ~Library/Preferences/...

your application data and occasionally preferences can be found in :
    ~Library/Application Support/...

and global system owned settings are in :
    Root/Library/Preferences/ and System/Library/Preferences/
    (Though, you shouldn't be editing them manually.)

Hope this helps. :)