Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sm26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Needed some opinions on which would be the better buy in the long run. This would be my first Mac. My budget is about 2k. I would be using it primarily for Video Editing - Final Cut, Premiere CS3-4. Also Photoshop. Speed and overall performance are probably the most important factors I'm looking into.

How much faster is the new model then the previous gen?

I was pretty much set on buying the updated MBP's when they came out, but didn't expect the screen change over to Glossy instead of Matte. I'm not exactly hell bent against the Glossy screen but color correction is a big part of Video Editing so if the new Glossy screen is inaccurate and reflective as other pro's have reported than it would make sense to but the previous gen. I've never really used a glossy screen for a long period of time, so I dont really now how good/bad they really are. All my computers have been Matte.

The one main issue I've heard about the previous gen MBP, is the 8600 nvidia graphics card. I'm not familar with previous MBP's, so I'm not sure how big of deal this actually was, and how common the problem was or still is.

So which would be the better buy?

Save money and buy a NEW, previous gen on clearance, and take the risk of a possible failing 8600 card?

OR

Spend the extra money, and buy the current model which should be faster and perform better, and just try and get used to the new glossy screen?

Sorry about the long read, any help would be appreciated.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Needed some opinions on which would be the better buy in the long run. This would be my first Mac. My budget is about 2k. I would be using it primarily for Video Editing - Final Cut, Premiere CS3-4. Also Photoshop. Speed and overall performance are probably the most important factors I'm looking into.

I was pretty much set on buying the updated MBP's when they came out, but didn't expect the screen change over to Glossy instead of Matte. I'm not exactly hell bent against the Glossy screen but color correction is a big part of Video Editing so if the new Glossy screen is inaccurate and reflective as other pro's have reported than it would make sense to but the previous gen. I've never really used a glossy screen for a long period of time, so I dont really now how good/bad they really are. All my computers have been Matte.

The one main issue I've heard about the previous gen MBP, is the 8600 nvidia graphics card. I'm not familar with previous MBP's, so I'm not sure how big of deal this actually was, and how common the problem was or still is.

Save money and buy a NEW, previous gen on clearance, and take the risk of a possible failing 8600 card?

OR

Spend the extra money, and buy the current model which should be faster and perform better, and just try and get used to the new glossy screen?

I'd go for the refurb, it's an excellent machine, great spec, powerful, excellent performance, superb screen, has been individually tested and tried, and comes with Apple's warranty; I have one and I'm very happy with it. Additionally, I'd get Applecare as well before your one year Apple warranty expires. That way - should anything go pear-shaped - you will be well covered and protected.

Cheers and good luck

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think that the rev. B Unibody MBPs will be much better than the previous model MBP, but the current model and last gen are quite similar. Also, the last gen has things like an actual trackpad button, and while the new MBP buttonless trackpad works, it does require you to get used to it, and I don't see how the new trackpad doesn't loose some flexibility and usability in some way. There are less click options....that much is clear.

Also, the previous model could take up to 6 GB of RAM (despite having a listed max of 4 GB of RAM), while the current model can only take 4 GB max.

THIS GUY does a pretty good comparison that you may be interested in.

lucero1148

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
Well I can speak from experience. I had the 2007 MBP which was great until the 8600GT chip starting burning out on me forcing me to replace the motherboard 3 times. Apple did replace my lemon with the brand new MBP and I love it. Yes the screen is glossy but the colors are more accurate than the matte finish. You get used to it. Likewise with the track pad it's a little different but you get used to it. If you're bothered by the glare work in a darkened room and end of problem. You'll also not be affected by ambient light throwing off your color perception by doing so.

Besides if you are doing video and any graphic programs you won't be using the track pad anyway to do serious work you'll have a video editors editing wheel (or whatever the real name is) or a wireless mouse or wacom tablet for photoshop/illustrator work to be really productive.

The old MBP was a good machine when it was working but the new one I have is a little lighter, classier to look at and sooo far runs like a dream. :p

So for the money its better to buy the new MBP at 2.4 mhz $2000 and then just upgrade to 4GB RAM ($150) than to buy the 2.5 mhz model at $2500 with 4 GB RAM installed.

lucero1148

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
BTW it's already been proven that the new unibody MBP can also take 6 GB RAM as well.

If you buy an old MBP you buy it at risk as you won't know its actual service history if you buy it second hand or a refurbished model.

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
while the new MBP buttonless trackpad works, it does require you to get used to it, and I don't see how the new trackpad doesn't loose some flexibility and usability in some way. There are less click options....that much is clear.

I'm surprised that quite a few people have brought this up...I haven't found any difficulty in using the new style track pad, moving from the old mbp and other pc trackpads. I cant see any lack of 'usability', in fact it really is more flexible. Plus it has the full range of multi-touch and its massive, which makes using the computer 10 times easier.

smukkebenne

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2006
Somewhere pretty
I'm surprised that quite a few people have brought this up...I haven't found any difficulty in using the new style track pad, moving from the old mbp and other pc trackpads. I cant see any lack of 'usability', in fact it really is more flexible. Plus it has the full range of multi-touch and its massive, which makes using the computer 10 times easier.

I agree, the new trackpad is very nice indeed!

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008

OR

Here's a little something that might help you with your decision: http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3435&p=5

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
I think that the rev. B Unibody MBPs will be much better than the previous model MBP, but the current model and last gen are quite similar. Also, the last gen has things like an actual trackpad button, and while the new MBP buttonless trackpad works, it does require you to get used to it, and I don't see how the new trackpad doesn't loose some flexibility and usability in some way. There are less click options....that much is clear.

Also, the previous model could take up to 6 GB of RAM (despite having a listed max of 4 GB of RAM), while the current model can only take 4 GB max.

THIS GUY does a pretty good comparison that you may be interested in.

A Tom Jones video? How does that help compare? LOL.

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
Same dilema....

I just wen through this whole issue myself.
Frankly, the last gen is like six months old and aside from the graphic card issue (which apple is covering for two years, even if you didn't buy applecare) it's a solid proven machine. I'd never buy 1 revolution anything by apple. Let others figure out the problems. Besides, here was my logic. There are some amazing deals right now on MacBook Pro's, I think MacMall had them for like 1449.00 after rebate today. Brand new. I got mine at University, brand new, for 1299.00. Even if you buy it and in 6 months decide you want a newer model, you're not going to lose much in cost of resale. I figure I can sell this one in 6 months if I wanted to and pretty much make all I put into it back no problem. That said, I love it. Mainly because this was my first upgrade from my 12" Powerbook and it's like I never left. Same keyboard, styling all around, finish and like 10 times the power. So for me, it's great. I bought applecare, so I know that for at least 3 years, I'm fine. And I've heard stories that people that bought these and did have problems have been upgraded to the new PowerBooks, so you could luck out should you have an issue.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
i'd go for the older model. I am currently typing on a two year old 2.33 macbook pro and it has been, and continues to be wonderful. For me, it is the glossy screen that would put me off.

Also, the older machine is very much tried and tested, while the UB MBP's are a rev.A, which i have always tried to avoid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.