MBP Pricing Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacOCD, Aug 22, 2010.

1. MacOCD macrumors regular

I was looking on the Apple website researching the prices for the MBP's and I noticed that the lowest priced 15" model is 200$ cheaper than the middle 15" model(which makes sense) but when you upgrade the hard-drive to the 500gb 5400rpm for 100$ the models seem to be identical. Which means, any one who buys the middle model is spending 100 extra dollars... Unless there is something in that middle model that is not listed that makes it 100$ more. I was wondering if any one knew what this secret 100$ upgrade is, or if Apple is trying to pull a fast one on us.

Thanks in advance for the response.

2. advocate macrumors regular

The processor in the middle model runs slightly faster.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The middle-tier 15" ($1999) has a 2.53GHz i5 processor. The low-end ($1799) has a 2.4GHz. That's where the main difference is.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The middle model comes with i5-540M while the base 15" comes with i5-520M. The difference is unnoticeable but it's 133MHz, so basically, if you want to buy MBP with 500GB HD from in-store, that's your only option.

5. MacOCD thread starter macrumors regular

Well if I were to buy one, it would be online so I could get the HR screen with the 500gb 7200rpm drive, and the pre-registered applecare :]

6. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Buy AppleCare from Amazon. You'll save about $50 or so. As far as I know, there is no advantage to buying AppleCare at the time of your MacBook Pro other than that you'll be registered automagically.

7. soleilvie macrumors member

If the OP is getting an education discount, Apple is actually cheaper than Amazon. For the regular price though, you are right, Amazon has the better price.

8. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Try ordering over the phone at the apple store- you may pick up some extra discounts from whomever you are talking to. They'll quote you a price, and as it was in my most recent purchase, a savings of a couple of hundred bucks. Better than a refurb or Amazon. It may be just a hit or miss thing, but it was very, very nice in my case.

9. MacOCD thread starter macrumors regular

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I would be purchasing with the education discount :)