Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Pricing
Im getting to where its time to replace my 2013 15" MBP. I recall when I got it, it was top of the line in the mid $2,699 price point.

Looking at what's in the market currently and I see the top of the line is now at the $3,499 price point. Whereas the low end is now at the previous high end $2,500ish price. I realize the low end of the spectrum (entry 16" Pro) would do me fine but this raise in price is interesting to say the least.

Again I dont need the max but the 32GB ram would be nice but that adds an additional $400 and that makes it $2,899. If Im spending that kind of money on something to last me 9 years like my previous then what's another $600. Still $3499 for the high end is pretty pricey. It's giving me a pause to even think about it.

Space Grey vs. Silver
Additionally, I've always been partial to Space Grey because I got tired of silver. Space Grey iPhone 12 and matching Space Grey 16" MBP sounds nice. Well, I use the smaller magic keyboard which has never been offered in space grey with black keys. Its a perfect size to fit in my backpack and takes less room on my desk. I don't want the numeric version with the numbers on the side. I see how the space grey keyboard is discontinued and there still is no magic smaller version plus they're only offered in silver. Literally what is the deal there?

I like that Apple finally has the Studio display back but its only offered in silver too. So really what is the use in offering a MBP in Space Grey when you don't offer any peripherals to match it?

This post may be more of a rant but I've never been so perplexed about Apple's lineup and choices then now. It doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone else share the same sentiments? By the way I did visit the local Apple Store and I do like the MBP in silver more so than I did previous models. Still I think I prefer Space Grey which of course doesn't match color wise with the rest of the stuff.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
The base 16" is $100 more than the previous models, which had held steady for several years, as I recall. Not a huge increase. The extra RAM costs the same as before, I think. Hard to compare the pricing of the Max, as it's a lot more upgrade than the previous processor upgrades, but it's not a lot once you adjust for the extra RAM that goes with it.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
I had always gone with Silver since I was 13 and got my first Mac (like I had a choice back then 😩). I went with the SG 14" this time. If I had gotten a 16" I would've gotten Silver just for nostalgia's sake.

Reactions: ARK and Fred Zed

ARK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
The base 16" is $100 more than the previous models, which had held steady for several years, as I recall. Not a huge increase. The extra RAM costs the same as before, I think. Hard to compare the pricing of the Max, as it's a lot more upgrade than the previous processor upgrades, but it's not a lot once you adjust for the extra RAM that goes with it.

Fair enough. In 2013 the top of the line was $2,799 so was just noticing we have gone up in price.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Mine was an sort of an impulse buy at Micro Center which was out of stock of Space Grey, so I went with a Silver. Glad I did; the silver on the new 16" MacBook Pro looks slick and was happy the second I took the wrapping off. Can't go wrong with either finish.

Reactions: ARK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.