Mbp pro 13" i5 running programs from second drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fezzaben, Sep 29, 2012.

1. fezzaben macrumors newbie

Hi guys was wondering if anyone could help me and a friend. We both have mbp 2011 models with both ssd"s in the main bay. Question i want answering is when we have installed a second hdd in the optical bay space will we be able to install programs to the drive. Hence keeping the ssd clear to just run the main programs we use.

If so how can this be done as my ssd is only 120gb and obviously i dpnt want to be filling it up with applications if its not necessary. When they can be install on the second drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I don't have two hard drives, but i'm assuming that you will not be able to run the programs on the second hard drive unless an OS is installed so to actually run the programs they will need to be in your primary HD.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Some applications may fail to function or update properly if they're not installed in the /Applications folder on your boot drive. You're better off moving user files to the external drive, rather than application or system files.

Freeing up space in Mac OS X

4. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

How do you use your Mac if your User folder is on an external drive?

5. fezzaben thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so basically use the second drive for data and the primary drive for applications correct

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct.