MBP Pro Tools new Setup Arrangements Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Mikeosoft, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Mikeosoft macrumors newbie

Hi I've had my 2010 MBP since april, and I just found my MBox 2 pro and all the numerous registration serials and whatnot needed to get this setup going.

Current MBP specs:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Main Hard Disk: OCZ vertex 2 SSD 60 GB
    Secondary Hard Disk: Stock 500 GB 7200RPM

I have used pro tools a bit before, not extensively, but enough to get myself going to cut some guitar demos, drum tracks, and whatnot.

My dilemma is this:

I need to decide how to properly format my Macbook Pro to serve a dual purpose as my current main computer, but also now as my DAW tool too.

1.) I was thinking I could create a new Login account in OSx and call it "DAW" and keep it bare with no extra flair or graphics on, just a DAW station. Would this be the best way to go?

2.) I have removed my superdrive and installed an SSD in place of the 500GB 7200rpm HDD, which I relocated to the superdrive bay. So I'm running an Sandforce 1200 OCZ Vortex 2 with Junk support, this baby is quick. I need to know what I should do about running Protools from an SSD. I am thinking the best idea is to install Protools on the SSD, but save my work on the 500 HDD 7200rpm. Is this the correct methodology?

I did some extensive searching on MRoogle before writing this, and did not find any similar threads, please don't flame or bitch at me if this is a common question, however, I don't really believe it is.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Yeah, writing isn't SSD's strong point so running your DAW on a SSD and having data written on a regular drive is the way to go.
    As for creating a new account just for PT... Who knows? I personally partition my startup disk to completely separate my audio usage from other general stuff.