MBP Pro..which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by taran420, Dec 29, 2009.

1. taran420 macrumors 6502a

So I will be switching to a Mac for the very first time and am looking at buying a 13inch MBP

Should I buy the low end 13inch or the higher end? i dont care about the space, but the RAM and proceesor is better in the higher end. Does it really make that much of a difference? Im a uni student that will be using it to do normal things, play music, web browse, homework and stuff

thanks

and is it truly worth waiting till jan 26 (speculation i know) for the lower end model?

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

What is or isn't released is anyones guess on January 26.

That said, the base one is fine. The extra mhz aren't worth it. But the ram separately and upgrade it yourself, its easy to do.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Standard answer. If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't need it until February, wait.

Whatever you buy is going to be outdated in a few months anyhow, so just quit worrying and get what you need.

As to which one to get the low end model should be more than powerful enough for the vast majority of tasks - even stuff like Photoshop. I'd suggest low end - add RAM later if you feel the need.

4. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

low end, high end, it really won't make much of a difference in terms of real world usage unless you do heavy processing-intensive work or gaming. Get the computer with the largest amount of memory you can afford and in terms of processors, any thing out there right now will perform respectably. having a 2.5 ghz C2D or an i5 down the line really won't let you surf the web any faster than a 2.26 ghz C2D

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Wait if you can and buy what you can afford. Don't try to futureproof, it doesn't work out. Just remember that because a new one gets released - yours suddenly doesn't become worse.

6. 26.2 macrumors member

Try to wait till February. Only 1 month away...

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Yep, you can't future-proof yourself, but you might as well wait a month.

Imagine buying an iMac a month before the refresh. For the same price the refresh included: faster processor (2.66 vs. 3.06), double the RAM, larger LED display with a higher resolution, larger hard drive, and a Magic mouse standard.

Yeah, you can never avoid obsolescence, but when you're spending $1000+ and you know a refresh is likely to occur in under a month, you might as well wait.

8. nuke123 macrumors newbie

9. taran420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies guys

I'm eager to try my first ever MacBook, but you guys are right might aswell wait a month and see what happens, it won't hurt

I have a windows laptop, so I'm not in great rush

Taran

10. moel macrumors 6502

I'd wait,thats what i'm doing!

Can't wait though...a whole new macbook! Shame my powerbook G4/667 isn't still here to see i :( (that truly was a beautiful piece of kit!)