MBP problems, Common or Rare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chali427, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Chali427 macrumors newbie

Chali427

Okay, I've wanted to switch to mac about 6 months ago. I have been reading from MR every day and I always find mild problems on macs, like battery issues, RAM malfunctining, overheating, etc. Not that I am criticizing but are macs much better than pcs talking about hardware quality. I know software is much better (OSX, Leopard). I want a good reason for buying a mac and how would it perform compared to a PC?

I've written in this sub-forum because I want a new MBP and be sure it is worth it

Thanks

2. Dexists macrumors newbie

Rare.

Don't knock it. Don't block the vents.

This is a hospital. Things aren't going to look good.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

none of the problems you mention, but there are others, most are software related

like it waking from sleep for no apparent reason

the mouse freaking out when it wakes up

the keyboard not responding to the first several strokes

things like that

4. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Rare. I think the small number of complaints have been highly publicized, exaggerating the issue.

I do, however, think this is good for the consumer as a whole.

I do (or did) have some issues with my first gen MBP, but never related to heat. In a nutshell, they were: 1) screen whine (seemed to be an early adopter issue), 2) low performing battery, and 3) it's currently on repair for a broken case component and white halo-ish spots on the screen.

With AppleCare, all those issues have been resolved quickly (except #3, since it's currently sent out). Just get AppleCare and all will be good.

5. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Very rare now. I had big problems in my first MacBook Pro but it was one of the original ones. Apple was nice and now I have a 2.2 SR MBP :p

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

it's rare. most problems ive encountered with my mbp were software related.

7. JWest macrumors 6502

Exactly. If you had never seen a dog before and were looking to buy a puppy, going into the vet might make you think all dogs are sick or have broken limbs, etc. But that's not true, you just happened to look in a place that has a lot of sick dogs. Same with these forums- people come here when there computers aren't working right, but that doesn't mean that all MBP's always have problems.

8. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Issues with the MacBook Pro are rare. You have to remember that most issues will be made apparent on a message board and you won't really hear from the percentage of owners that have none of these issues.

With that being said, I haven't had any hardware issues with my MacBook Pro, only one issue that was software related due to StuffIt Expander and me playing around with the operating system.

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Not a single problem of any kind in 2+ months.:)

10. Chali427 thread starter macrumors newbie

Chali427

I completely agree with all of you, thanks for thew quick reply... thats what I thought of too, but I just wanted to make sure hardware problems were rare...Now talking about software, what are some common issues and can they be fixed?

Thanks Again...:):apple:

11. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I've switched to mac about 10 years ago and the only two hardware defects I've had were 1. The "clock battery" needed replacing on my G3 iMac (super easy $4 DIY repair) and 2. The hard drive went out on my 1st gen Macbook due to a common hard drive problems for that specific year which was fix under AppleCare.

Since switching ive owned at least 6-7 different Macs.

12. Tom McMahon macrumors member

No issues with either of our Macs.

My MBP doesn't have the yellow screen, heat isn't a problem (thermal paste is good), no keyboard issues, no track pad issues, battery on average lasts 3.5-4 hours....it's pretty awesome.