MBP problems, help wanted!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joe.beresford18, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Joe.beresford18 macrumors newbie

Basically i have had my 15 inch MBP for 2 years now and it was all working fine till i switched to leopard. Since installing leopard my system, at random intervals keeps shutting down and upon restarting i have the blue screen of death. These crashes are becoming more frequent. It has happened about 3 times now in the last month, meaning a tedious process of adding everything to my computer again and again.

The restore disks do not let me archive and install, a complete system wipe is required. The laptop will be fine for a week or so then back to square one.

Does anyone else have this problem?

If anyone can offer me advice i'd very much appreciate it. If this problem persists, i may be looking at a MacBook Air. Has anyone transitioned from the pro to the air, and if so are they're any major shortfalls?

Many thanks

2. ebayhelp macrumors member

so you use your leopard disc? ilike the retail ones right?

try formatting as apple guid partition and amke sure to INSTALL every UPDATE possible ASAP

did this happen to your tiger?

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Are you using the Tiger disks to restore or the Leopard disk? One of them should let you do an Archive and Install. If it's only the Tiger disk, use that and then upgrade to Leopard.
    BUT - your hard drive may be in the process of heading South. You REALLY need a backup.

4. Joe.beresford18 thread starter macrumors newbie

i am have tried to use both sets of disks. the original tiger ones demand a complete erase as do the leopard ones. they are both the retail disks (leopard) and the systems disks that came in the macbook pro box (tiger) these problems are getting annoying. once you get the blue screen is there anyway to unlock the computer or are the disks needed?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Boot from disk, open Disk Utility
    - Repair permissions
    - Repair Disk

You need to perform software and firmware updates. You might want to download the 10.5.4 combo update and install that.

6. Joe.beresford18 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, thanks for the quick answers, i will give repairing the permissions a go. i have actually had all the updates done, right up until the last one the other night, which successfully installed so no gaps there.

could this be a virus or the start of hard-drive failure? i'm getting tempted to purchase a new computer soon....this is putting me over the edge

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Uh you sure you're running OS X 'cause OS X doesn't do BSOD.