MBP Problems: User account deleted, rebooting indefinitely...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timothyandrew, Dec 9, 2008.

1. timothyandrew macrumors newbie

timothyandrew

As I was normally browsing, I get an alert, paraphrased here: Access for assistive devices is turned off; turn on to use Textexpander. So I head along to the universal access preference pane, and there when I check "Enable access for assistive devices", it immediately unchecks itself. I close System Preferences and try again, and this time it brings up the authorization window, where I need to enter my username/password. The username field is blank (it's normally filled with my name), but nevertheless, I type in my username & password, and lo and behold, it tells me that user does not exist. (I have no other user on the computer).

So I go to the accounts preference pane, and it's completely blank!

I click on my name in the menubar and go to the Login Window. After a long pause (with a blank blue screen), I get the Leopard intro video, and then setup assistant shows up. I fill in all the fields, finish up with the assistant, and back I am the video. No way to get out of this, so I restart. Now I get the apple logo, spinning thing, black, and back to the apple logo. Just keeps restarting.

I've checked many online forums, and I think the problem is that my user's value (whatever that means) has been set to zero. I can't change anything because I have only command-line access to my mac, and I don't know how to deal with this stuff on the terminal.

I'd be grateful for ANY help. I have a Santa Rosa Macbook Pro, running 10.5.5.
    Thanks...

(As to what might have caused the problem, I can only think of: I ran iPatch earlier this afternoon. Maybe that corrupted something?)

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Hmm... this is very interesting. Obviously, something has gone wrong somewhere and I never put my password in unless I know exactly why the prompt exists.

a) Do you have a backup?
    b) Do you have a bootable clone?

If not, I don't know if I can help! :confused:

3. timothyandrew thread starter macrumors newbie

timothyandrew

I have a backup, yes. No bootable clone, though. I simply dread re-installing every single app and making sure each of their settings are the same as earlier. Guess I'll wait a little more and see, otherwise a re-install it is! :(

4. timothyandrew thread starter macrumors newbie

timothyandrew