MBP Protection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by February1088, Apr 16, 2010.

1. February1088 macrumors member

So...after finally buying the updated new MBP at $1050, I am fairly happy. I want to put a hard shell case on it (probably speck see-thru) to protect it. I was also thinking about putting invisible shield on the inside near the keyboard and touchpad but sadly it doesn't come with screen protection.

I have a few questions regarding this:
    1) Is it a bad idea to put both invisibleshield AND use hardshell case? In terms of how badly the macbook can heat up

2) Invisibleshield costs like $55 which is a big rip off imo. Does anyone know anything similar I can use that is a lot cheaper?

What do you recommend to protect the MBP? I'd like to preserve the clean silver look and thats why I want to use see-thru case. I also know that the keyboard/near touchpad will get dirty after wear, how should I prevent it?

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Don't forget to have fun actually USING your computer :)

3. February1088 thread starter macrumors member

sadly I'm so concerned about keeping it scratch/fingerprint-free that I seriously need to consider your advice

4. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I stick my Macbook Pro in a sleeve (Memoggy). Very soft. No scratches so far on the outside of my Mac.

I clean the screen every now and then with a microfiber cloth. Glass doesn't scratch much.

I clean the metal from grease, etc, with some rubbing alcohol, and the Apple black cloth that came with the laptop.

Once a week I give the laptop a thorough cleaning, combining both the above methods, also using the hoover to suck out crumbs from the keys, etc. Takes 15 minutes of my time, and leaves the laptop looking soooo good.

I think the invisible shields are good, if you use your mac out in the wild, but if you are careful with a sleeve, you will be fine :). Metal (albeit Aluminium) doesn't scratch very easily.

5. bobbytomorow macrumors 6502

bobbytomorow

I simply don't worry about whether or not mine gets a scratch, its a notebook for christ sake not a human child.

6. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Taking care of the laptop is a good idea, especially with Apple laptops: they maintain resale value far better than other products.

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

it's a re-sellable notebook:)

8. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

I was like you originally. I ended up just getting the Speck See Thru and it works perfect.

9. February1088 thread starter macrumors member

Guys, have you heard of a skin called bestskinsever? It looks just like invisibleshield. Any reviews on it?

Also, are the new updated 13 inch MBP the exact same dimensions/size as the 2009 aluminium model? I don't want to order a case for the MBP and find out that it doesn't fit the new one

10. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

^yes, its pretty much the same thing (i think/pretty sure)

11. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

children will heal and getting cuts and bruises is just part of growing up and it helps people to learn what not to do.