MBP Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacFrenzy, May 18, 2010.

  1. MacFrenzy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 18, 2010
    #1
    Hi Guys,

    I have been waiting for Apple to refresh the MBP. However, I wasn't really impressed with the recent refresh. On the other hand, my current laptop, a Thinkpad T60 which I bought in 2007, is driving me nuts. I am really contemplating whether to buy the 13" MBP (2.66GHz) or just wait for a more decent refresh at the end of this year or possibly next year.

    I don't want to be in situation where I get buy the MBP and then discover that Apple has released "a value for money" refresh. I would really appreciate your advice and input.
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    There is always something to wait for. Early 2011 Intel is releasing Sandy Bridge and mid 2011 ATI should come up with new mobile GPUs plus nVidia will release mobile Fermis sometime in future, and of, DDR4 in 2012, OS X 10.7 in late 2011, new Intel SSDs within a year, USB 3.0 2011 and LightPeak.... Wanna hear more? :p

    Just buy now. Current MBPs are great and waiting game is endless
     
  3. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #3
    imho the 2.66 MBP13 is the worst value for money of the lot. it is $300 more expensive for a CPU that is just 0,22ghz faster and costs apple about $30 extra.

    the base 2.4 MBP13 is the better choice of the new MB (which got the same lame upgrade as the MBP13 but here is €100 more expensive all of the sudden), and the two MBP's. However since intel will EOL the C2D before the end of this year i am "sure" the late 2010 / early 2011 refresh will be improved over the 2007 P8700 model CPU.

    I am either getting the base 15" (although it is too big and €700 above my budget) or wait for the next MBP13 refresh myself.
     
  4. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #4
    Actually, then funny thing about 2.4GHz (P8600) vs 2.66GHz (P8800) is that they cost EXACTLY the same, 241$ per CPU. Of course Apple may have a special deal. BTW, where did you hear that C2Ds will be discontinued this year?

    Anyway, the 2.4GHz is better bang for you buck OP
     
  5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #5
    well if they even cost the same it is more of an :apple: cashcow then i initially thought.

    the C2D thing came from an intel confidential roadmap paper that i saw online somewhere that said something like:

    i think chances are i will sit this one out. perhaps when my faithful eee really dies i will go and see what the current model is like (i am looking at you Sandy). :D
     

Share This Page