MBP Purchase and General Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cosmokanga2, May 14, 2008.

1. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

I'm looking at buying a MacBook Pro refurb and have a few questions.

1. Am I going to experience system lags/hangs when running iTunes playing a 200mb sound file, Photoshop CS3, Safari, plus other numerous small apps and a couple Word docs? (I will upgrade the RAM aftermarket.)

2. Is a high end 15" MBP overkill for the above work? The main reason for the MBP is the 15" screen, 512mb VRAM and size/portability.

3. Is 512mb of VRAM overkill for just gaming? I would love to play COD4, BFBC and possible Crysis.:)

4. I would like to purchase the next revision of MBP form the refurb store and not have to purchase a new laptop for another 3-4 years. Would it be worth waiting for Nehalem?

Thats all for now. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

1) No. Maybe a tiny bit when switching between spaces, but none otherwise.

2) No, I would say that 15" might not be enough for some photoshop work.

3) No, you're going to need it for those games, esp crysis, which still won't run at full settings.

4) I would wait for Nehalem if you're not wanting to replace for 3-4 years. However, even if you wait, you're probably going to have to replace before then because of the rate of improvement these days, especially if you want to stay current with software.

3. cosmokanga2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Hey, thanks for the help.

I've been saving up for a while but I'm willing to wait a little longer for an even better machine.

Anyone else have some info. Thanks.