MBP purchasing decision debate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rigberg, Feb 24, 2011.

1. rigberg macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

This is my first post as a member of the forum, I am conflicted in posting because I am sure that the forums will become inundated with individuals asking similar questions, though I think my situation is somewhat unique and would appreciate the advice/suggestions of the knowledgeable members of the board.

First, a little history. I've been wanting a Mac laptop for a good while now, maybe 2 or 3 years. I could never justify buying one because my I have had no problems with my current computer (which is very old but still functional), which is like a 2006 Toshiba with 1GB (upgraded) RAM and a laughable graphics card...laugh it up. SO, I promised myself that when I finished my graduate degree, I would reward myself with the computer I've wanted for a while. I graduated May 2010 and have yet to purchase. When I visited the Apple store around my graduation date, I believe the, just passed, Macbook Pros were about halfway through their life cycle. I was mainly interested in the 13" version because I didn't feel comfortable sitting in front of the 15", I don't know, the 13" "felt" more appropriate for me. I decided against the 13" at the time because I had a feeling it would be updated soon and I didn't want to regret missing out on the "latest and greatest" if it would be updated soon. Also, I was disappointed that the 13" did not utilize the i3 chip like the other models did. So I told myself to wait for the refresh, which I have been, patiently. All the while, reading people's opinion's on this message board.

With the exciting news of the refresh happening today, I find myself more confused and conflicted than excited because of the extreme opinions many people have. To get to the point, I will explain my anticipated uses of the computer:

Internet surfing/downloading/listening to music
    Word Processing/editing
    Photo editing
    Video editing
    Portability

In regards to photo and video editing, I have a Canon T2i, which I am learning how to use. With my current computer setup, I cannot even playback the HD video I can shoot with the camera. I am a novice when it comes to editing, but I would like to have the access to "grow" into this hobby without being restrained by the technology. I plan to become familiar with iMovie and iPhoto with sights on learning how to use Photoshop, or Aperture, or Lightroom. My wife recently gave birth to our child and documenting her life has become a priority. I also enjoy shooting outdoors and taking pictures on our vacations.

Essentially, that is my situation. I am conflicted because people are underwhelmed by the 13" graphic specs. I am now considering a Macbook Air because people say the resolution is much superior to the new 13". I'd be open to buying the recently outdated Macbook Pros if they could suit my needs, as outlined above.

To futureproof myself, I am convinced I would be better off upgrading to 8GB RAM if I go for the Pro models. I don't know how important the Hi-Res Antiglare upgrade is. $2,149 for the 15" model with 8GM RAM and the Anti-glare would be my extreme limit, though I am very skeptical that I could utilize the machine to it's capabilities and suspect that I am suffering from "big eyes".

Anyway, I've written enough. I appreciate all of the feedback you will provide. Please try to keep it constructive.

Thanks.

2. rigberg thread starter macrumors newbie

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I suggest you go for the high end 13 with 8 GB ram. That way you'll have the best of both worlds for portability and power without the price tag for the 15. Since you're not looking to be a professional video or photo editor, anti-glare isn't really important and you'll be better off overall with a glossy screen. You'll have enough processing power for almost anything you'll want to do anyway.

Just spring for it now. If you don't do it, you'll never end up doing it. Just enjoy your purchase without worrying about it being future proof. There's no such thing.