MBP purchasing questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tharris0101, Oct 22, 2010.

1. tharris0101 macrumors member

I am in the market for a new MBP. My budget is around $2000 (could go higher, could go lower... and this is without AppleCare. I plan on buying that a couple of months later). But obviously, the more money I save can go toward other things such as new studio monitors :cool:

I get the full education discount, or a friend of mine at the Apple Store offered me one of his friends and family discounts. This will mainly be a Logic Pro machine, but also do bootcamp because of some of my old audio programs that are Windows based.

I will be using it for multitracking (HD speed), synths (CPU/RAM) and live performance.

My question is how much faster are the new i5 and i7 processors. There are several early/mid 2010 MBPs on craigslist that would be the cheapest option, but is the i5/i7 worth the extra $400-$500?

Also, how is the speed difference between the i5 and i7. Noticeable for CPU intensive operations? Worth the extra price?

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Use the Apple Store to purchase your MBP ... then get a h00ker from Craigs list to celebrate

Craigs List is a scary place for anything

3. Resist macrumors 68030

Better yet use Amazon save $50, plus free shipping and no state sales tax.

4. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

for something this expensive, avoid craiglist! if you are going to go used, then buy from a reputable ebayer or refurbished from apple. To answer your question, you'll see improvements in speed but only if you're working on more intensive applications .

5. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

LOL.
    What Apple OC suggested to get on Craiglist is usually used, abused and overused.

6. tharris0101 thread starter macrumors member

Doesn't Apple not allow you to take it to the store for warranty work if you bought it somewhere else? My coworker's ipod that she bought at Best Buy stopped working after just a couple of weeks and when she took it into the Apple Store they said they couldn't help her since she didn't buy it there and to call Apple directly (She did and they replaced it).

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

My understanding is that if you buy from an Apple Store and there's something wrong with it you can take it back and exchange it. However if you buy something from the online Apple Store or a third party like Best Buy, etc. and there's something wrong with it, it will be repaired under the standard or extended AppleCare warranty, but not exchanged.