MBP Quad core?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rmafive, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade a macbook pro to a core 2 quad processor. I know that it is almost impossible to get the original chip out since it is soldered on, and that I would have to get a huge battery and do some kind of fan upgrade! I am just wondering if it is even possible, if so are there any guides on how to accomplish this! :)

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The current cooler is custom fit to the case and logic board, so I have no idea how you'd stuff a bigger one in there. The current cooler MIGHT be sufficient for the 2.26Ghz mobile quad coming out, but probably not the 2.53Ghz version. As for the desktop Core 2 Quads, I don't think they have the same socket connections, not to mention they all have 95w or higher TDPs.

Basically, it would most likely be easier just building a Core 2 Quad based Hackintosh from scratch.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Short answer: No

Long answer: Apart from the fact that the CPU is soldered on, Intel does not make any Quad core notebook chips, well until next month, and those chips won't work anyway.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Erm, it's not possible to upgrade a laptop processor to a desktop processor, they have different socket types, desktop processors are slightly larger I think,

You'd have to upgrade to a laptop processor, see this page for a list of mobile processors that MAY be compatible with your mac.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you want a Quad core, you shouldn't be buying a MBP.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

The current ones can already fry your bacon. What could you possibly want to cook on your laptop that needs such high temperatures? :confused:

7. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

I would like to use this computer as my desktop also, so I was looking for as much power as possible! Now I realize though how stupid I was. :)

And by the way people leaving remarks like, "Don't buy a macbook pro", will not help me at all! :mad:

8. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

A Q9100 mobile quad-core should theoretically work if it was possible to install it since it's TDP is 35W, which is within the MBP's ability to dissipate.

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Don't even think about it.

Okay, so you've thought about it.

Stop thinking about it. ;)