MBP: Quality of Audio In

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J.K., Dec 20, 2007.

1. J.K. macrumors newbie

I want to record live audio from a feed on my sound desk on my MacBook Pro.

What is the quality of the Audio In on the MacBook Pro? Will the Audio In be a suitable quality or will I be required to purchase an external sound card.

Cheers
    J.K.

2. J.K. thread starter macrumors newbie

3. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

What exactly are you trying to record? Do you want to use a mic going in through the "audio in" or use the internal mic?

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

5. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

I've never done it, but I'd be very skeptical about recording anything "professional" using an 1/8in. unbalanced input into my MBP. I'm sure there's a better way. Though I can't think of one right off hand. Is this something you can input through a USB interface? Hell, I don't know, maybe the input would be just fine. Why not try it out and let us all know?

6. lauph macrumors regular

If you are really into audio recording, the Analogue-Digital converter in the MBP will not satisfy you. Maybe you could invest some $$ on an external ADC, then Digital In to your Line in Optical hole.

7. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

That's the ticket! I'd forgotten all about the optical option! That sounds like the way to go for sure!

8. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

you could also purchase an external recording unit that connects through USB or Firewire as well. (And on the unit you can determine what sort of ports you use coming into it)