MBP Question(s)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xmitsir, Jul 31, 2013.

1. xmitsir macrumors newbie

Hi Folks, am new to Macs. Have a question about Macs. If I get a used MBP (was new in June 2011) where the 750 GB HD has been 'wiped', will I be able to install/load any particular version of MAC OS X on it? It originally had SL 10.6.X on it and owner lost the orig SL disk. Not being familiar with how Apple does things, can I just purchase a DVD or USB of say Lion and do an Install or is there some kind of restriction that would prevent me from doing that? Would I be restricted to loading ONLY the previous version of SL on it?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can install anything equal or later to what it was shipped with. You can buy a DVD; you can call Apple and they will sell you a replacement for the original install disks.

Note that if you go to ebay avoid the grey restore disks - they are machine specific.

IIRc you might get the Lion disk from Apple.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

You may be able to just install Mountain Lion from the App Store. If the owner installed the firmware updates for it, it'll boot from an internet connection even if the hard drive is blank and offer the option to install an OS. It's called Internet Recovery

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

4. xmitsir thread starter macrumors newbie