MBP Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JP89Hornet, Jun 6, 2007.


When should I buy?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2007.
  1. Now

  2. Start of SR. Year (Sept)

  3. October (New OS)

  4. Christmas (Dec)

  5. Next Spring

    0 vote(s)
  6. Next Summer

  1. JP89Hornet macrumors regular


    Jul 23, 2006
    I am a Senior in High School (Class of 2008) My parents are planning to invest in the computer of my choice to last me "ALL THE WAY" through college. I wanted to wait till christmas so I would have the new OS, LED Display, iLife '07, etc... but my current computer ('03 Toshiba Satellite A20 XP) has almost given out and I need a new computer soon. I was wondering a few things:

    1) I am a college student at our local Jr. College and I get the Apple discount, and at the Univ. I want to go to they offer "HUGE" discounts on software, should I wait till Oct. for the new OS? Does Apple offer a free "Upgrade Timeline" like Vista did with ppl that bought a computer 1 mo. in advance?

    -If I wait I will be giving up a "FREE IPOD"!!! (Offer ends in Sept.) :(

    2) Should I get a 15.4" or 17"? :confused:

    3) Glossy or Matte? :confused:

    4) Should I wait on the Blue Ray Disc MBP? :confused:

    I am just asking on peoples opinions, this will be my first mac, my dad has used PC's his entire life :mad: , but I just think I will enjoy a mac alot better!!! :rolleyes:

    Thanks for your help!!! :D

    -- :apple: Jake :apple:
  2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Oct 31, 2006
    "Should I wait on the Blue Ray Disc MBP? "

    You're talking about a feature that may not even come...You could be waiting forever. 15 vs 17 is preference, what would you be using it for? Search for glossy vs matte, tons of threads... I'd say loosing $200 rebate towards an iPod is worth it if I were to wait and get the computer I really wanted.
  3. ibell63 macrumors newbie

    Jun 5, 2007
    I think you should wait until next summer. I just graduated from highschool this year and I will be ordering a MBP for college either today or tomorrow. I would get the matte screen as it is much better at anti-glare qualities than the glossy screens, but that's just my opinion. To me, all the other questions are trivial.

    BTW, Intel is planning 4 core mobile processors for 2008, check out engadget.com
  4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030


    Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    There won't be any discounts on Leopard unless you bought your computer JUST (I don't remember the exact time frame.. like 2 weeks?) before its release. Personally, I would just buy now if you need it now seeing as the line was just updated and you'll be able to take advantage of the iPod deal. If you CAN wait, though, you might as well wait until next summer when you actually need the computer for college..

    As far as which computer to go for, a lot of it is personal preference, so no amount of advice can substitute your going into a store and actually seeing all of them face to face. However, if we ARE going to give you advice, maybe let us know how you'll be using the computer, what programs you plan to use, what your major is, and where you'll be using it.
  5. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

    Dec 2, 2006
    If you are the class of 08, why not wait till you graduate next year to get one? I know its awlful advice that you have to wait, but think, you are going to college in fall of 08, and from the sounds of it you aren't going to get a new computer anytime you are in college. Assuming its a 4 year program, even if you get your mac in summer of 08, you will have 1 year without warrenty even with applecare. Believe me, you will want that because you will definitely be tempted to get new computers EVERY time a new mac comes out.
  6. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816


    Mar 23, 2007
    15" because of the better portability.
    Your own preference here. Choose whatever you like.
    Don't know when those or if they will come out.

    A lot more info here.
  7. x Shadow Dragon macrumors regular

    May 21, 2007
    come on not long enough i typed so much
  8. TimJim macrumors 6502a

    May 15, 2007
    1) Probobly

    2) 15"

    3) Glossy = Media, Matte= Work

    4) No
  9. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

    May 20, 2007
    Either now, after Leopard and iLife07 release or after next update whenever that is. How shall we be able to decide for you?

    I'd go for now or after next update.
  10. macjay macrumors 6502

    Oct 3, 2003
    I suggest waiting until a new case comes out.
  11. JP89Hornet thread starter macrumors regular


    Jul 23, 2006

    Hey!!! Thanks for all ya'lls advice!

    I have narrowed my major to two things... Comp Sci Engineering, or Somewhere in Radiology?

    I will be using my Laptop as a TV at college, but I won't use it until my Jr. year (Corps policy).

    Thanks Again!!!


Share This Page