MBP Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrbrightside623, May 13, 2009.

1. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

Hey All, I got my MBP in September of 2008. I been reading these things about the 8600m GT gfx being a bad batch in the 8000 series. I was wondering if my MBP might possibly be affected by this? Also, are there any signs of it that i can tell from the get go? My laptop runs on a daily basis just chatting on ichat and using safari and the computer gets to about 131 degrees Fahrenheit and when I watch a video it gets up to about 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Right now I'm exporting a video that I did today for my Taekwondo Class and the fan speed spiked from the normal 2k rpm to 3k+ rpm and is at 181 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this normal? Or is this due to the gfx being a bad one?

Thank You In Advance

-Tony

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I don't think the temperature is going to be an indicator. Generally if its one of the bad chips, the screen will go dark or have lines on it or something similar to that. You're probably alright, but if the screen starts screwing up, Apple will replace it free of charge, in or out of warranty.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The convention for reporting computer temperatures is in degrees Celsius, not Fahrenheit, so for the future report them in °C so we don't have to do the conversion first.

As a general rule, temperatures are in no way indicative of faulty hardware; instead, they indicate how well the system is being cooled or possibly a problem with the cooling system. The temperature you listed for load is at the high-end, but not abnormal, and could simply be due to a high ambient temperature, poor ventilation, or any number of factors. The temperature you listed for Safari-use is perfectly normal, and so I suspect that your computer is problem-free and that instead the problem lies with you reading too much MacRumors, listening to all the people here that find problems before those very same problems even come to be.

4. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I guess we can scratch out the heat issue. I got the smcfancontrol and the temperature is running a lot better. Well I never got those black lines and so forth but I've noticed that when I play videos, on initial start of the video, the video has a scrambled green all over the video because it goes normal. Is this an issue? As for ventilation and ambient temperature, they are all good. Temperature in my home is rather normal at 21-27C. And ventilation... I have it sitting on something that has it about 4 inches off the service with a lot of open space and air running below the laptop.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Is this all videos, and in both VLC and in QuickTime? Try different file types too, and perhaps a DVD as well. Without knowing more it sounds like just a problem with those videos or a software glitch of some kind, but test a bit more and report back.

6. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I have this problem too when I watch movies in VLC. It's never happened in quicktime. It also happens when I watch HD youtube videos.

7. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

The issue is pretty much all players. I've experienced this in VLC, Quicktime, and like Warranty Voider said... Youtube HD videos. So for file type it is FLV, AVI, WMV (through flipformac) and DVDs. This happened just yesterday for DVD since I put in a DVD to watch something for my class.

-Tony