MBP Ram Choice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Radio Monk33, May 3, 2008.

1. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I'm running a penryn Macbook Pro and just looking at some cheap ram upgrades.

Buffalo 2 gig modules @ 40$
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27441&vpn=D2N667C-2G&manufacture=Buffalo&promoid=1001

Or OWC 2 gig @ 30$ after 10$ MIR
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index....6672G&manufacture=OCZ Technology&promoid=1001

Will either of these work? Looks like they match the ram requirements of the laptop..should I just go for the cheaper one?

And on a related note, is it worth it gaming wise? I don't run parallels or photoshop..but maybe a little imovie and other multitasking.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Go for someplace that guarantees compatibility with Macs.

I've never found a ram upgrade (especially one so cheap) to be a bad investment.

3. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

The second one is OCZ, not OWC (Other World Computing). OWC is a reseller, not a manufacturer. I've bought RAM from them a bunch of times, and never had a problem. Don't know anything about the companies you linked to here.

I agree with the first response. Go with someone who's trusted and guarantees compatibility and satisfaction. OWC www.macsales.com), New Egg, Crucial, etc. are all safe choices. Maybe a little more than this place, but much cheaper than buying direct from Apple and just as good.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Both of those should work but if you want the ultimate comfort factor buy from someone that will guarantee compatibility and provide a lifetime warranty like canadaram. A little more money perhaps but you get what you pay for.

5. Norris3eb macrumors newbie

BEST DEAL SO FAR:

Fry's Electronics.
    4GB of ADATA DDR2 PC5300 - Apple Certified RAM. $74.00

6. Radio Monk33 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd love to, but I'm in Canada and I dread shipping and the seemingly random customs and duty charges at the border. So I prefer to shop locally.

Canada Ram would be okay but its pricy and still shipping. NCIX I can get to on foot, and it looks like theres some positive mac testimonials for both ram choices. From what I gather, Ram seems like a commodity..might as well get the cheapest deal I can find?

7. mikethemovie macrumors member

8. localnet macrumors newbie

What about...

Kingston ram is fine. I tend to buy my ram from OWC. I have done so for years and can honestly say I have only had problems once with their (OWC) ram. And they happily replaced it with no questions asked. They shipped out the new ram overnight with a return envelope for the defective chip.

And their prices are normally very competitive with the discount houses. I'll pay a little extra for the warranty I know that is stood behind. And I have lost count of the Macs I have used the OWC memory in. Must be close to 20 computers/laptops over the years.

Mike

9. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

I have had no problem with OWC or Fry's shipping to Canada. Customs due on delivery, very fast shipping. I also got a 7200 RPM HD for my MB from NCIX, again very fast shipping, with no customs fees. And considering that you can get those from NCIX for $60 after rebate, it will save you a bit of money on shipping and customs. And yes, those modules should work in your MBP. And NCIX does have a high reseller rating (higher than Apple's, and much higher than Dell's) and has been around for 12 years, so I would trust them for warranties etc.

10. nigrunze macrumors regular

Sorry about hijacking a 3 week old thread, but with the amount of threads about RAM that are created per week, I thought this would be a better idea.

Like the original poster, I live in Canada and would like to avoid random customs charges by ordering from the U.S. . I'm trying to help a friend get more memory for his 1st generation Core Duo MacBook because 512MB of RAM these days just isn't much. Since it's a Core Duo, it'll support a maximum of 2GB so that's what I'd like to get.

Since Macs can sometimes be picky about memory and their SPD timings, I'd like some opinions if possible.

NCIX is selling 1GB Buffalo Select modules at $20 per GB. Has anyone ever had any problems with Buffalo Select memory in Macs or anything like that?

11. mobile23 macrumors member

mobile23

hi guys, did any of you get the Buffalo ram? is it good? thanks :)

12. Sneakee macrumors newbie

Sneakee

Help

Hey Guys, I have just been on http://www.crucial.com and downloaded their memory scan software and it says that my MBP can only have up to 3072MB of RAM even though there I can physically put 4GB into it. They say that this is the manufacturers' supported memory but on apple.com they sell their MBP's with up to 4GB RAM so im a little confused! Anyone know what I should do because I want to beef my MBP up!!! :confused::apple:

13. G8AMB macrumors member

G8AMB

Corsair?

Does anyone have any experience with this:-
    http://www.corsairmemory.com/products/mac_memory.aspx

It claims the following:-
    Low Latency MacMemory
    Corsair’s 4GB Mac Memory upgrade kit utilizes the industry’s first low latency modules specifically tuned for the new MacBook and MacBook Pro laptop computers. Testing has demonstrated that as much as a 28% overall system performance improvement is achieved with the new Corsair low latency memory modules versus standard Mac upgrade memory.

14. wiseguy macrumors member

wiseguy

I returned mine

I tried them for less than a week and they started freezing my MBP. Very bad time while I was doing intensive video on After Effects, Photoshop and Final Cut. Put back my Apple memory and it's all fine since then.

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I don't have any first hand experience of that RAM,but i do seem to remember a thread a while back now were that RAM was discussed,and to cut along story short,it was deemed by the resident RAM guru ( canadaRAM )not to be what it claimed,just stick to someone like crucial

16. mobile23 macrumors member

mobile23

thanks. i guess i will go back to Samsung then.