MBP RAM in MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benlee, Nov 17, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I have a non-SR C2D MBP and a CD MB. I'm assuming the ram is not compatible but wanted to make sure.

With Ram so cheap right now I want to get a 2GB stick and take out one of my 1GB sticks in my MBP...but then I don't know what to do with it.

Any Ideas?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

They are compatible. All of the Intel Mac laptops have used the same RAM so far. At least according to MacTracker.

3. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

The RAM should be compatible but for a CD Macbook, the max will be 2GB.

4. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

seriously....Wow...So I can just buy a 2GB stick for the MBP and put the old 1GB into the MB?

I'm so excited.
    Guess my girlfriend will be getting an extra Gig of RAM soon and this bad boy will be running on 3GBs.

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Well, do bear in mind you'll have to remove RAM from an occupied slot. If the MB is currently using 1GB ram you'll have to take out a 512MB stick to install the 1GB (totalling 1.5GB) and if it's a 512MB model it'll have two 256MB sticks and your overall total ram ends up at 1.25GB

6. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

Thank you for that info. I never thought about that. I just assumed it had a 1GB stick. Is there any way to check without opening up the laptop if it has both slots occupied?

Nevermind: found it in System profiler. That sucks

Now I have another question. If the computer has to go in for repair are they going to not like the fact that it doesn't have the original ram in?