MBP Ram Install Guide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wingnut330, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I've searched and can't find a guide on how to install more RAM into my new MBP. I searched here and checked the guides. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome - thanks! Does it void my Apple Care warranty if I do it myself?

3. NJuul macrumors 6502

No.

4. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

only if you screw it up, and inside the manuel that comes with the MBP, it tells you how to install the RAM.

5. bart rijksen macrumors regular

No it doesn't.

6. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Changing the RAM yourself does not in and of itself void the warranty, BUT, as a poster above points out, if you somehow manage to damage your machine while changing your own RAM, the warranty will not cover any of the damage you have done.

That said, changing of the RAM is a very straightforward process and can be done by all levels of user.

7. zgnoud macrumors member

Hi dude, ive just installed 4gb into my new penrynn mbp, found this video tutorial very useful; http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qozs6KZoarA
    hope it helps... and if not there are several other video ones on youtube with even more close up shots.

8. kevzy macrumors member

9. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone! I plan to order mine today! Too bad the RAM from my iMac doesn't fit!

10. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually I think it might! I bought RAM for an iMac I had for a couple of weeks. I think it will work. It was a 24" Alum iMac that I bought about a month ago. According to the OWC website it will work. I plan to cal and confirm.

11. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

I actually think it might as well, because the iMac uses the laptop processer chip, so maybe it uses the same RAM as a laptop too. But I would definately double check with apple and whoever you got the RAM from.

12. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's the same part number as the RAM I bought for my iMac. Did some research and it is, in fact, the same. Installed it in about 2 mins, powered it up and BANG! 4GB RAM! Woo hoo!

13. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

Well thats good to know, so when my mom is getting her iMac she can just get the 1 gb of RAM and use the 2 gb I took out of my MBP when I replaced my RAM?

14. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a